Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 AM
FitDay Member

Think of training runs as putting money in the bank. As you make deposits ( miles), your account (fitness) grows.
Racing all-out is like making withdrawls. Too many withdrawls and you write a check your body can't cash.

Your long run this morning was fine.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Great analogy, Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 AM
FitDay Member

HC and Pam, Thanks for the info.

I need to be more discipline though.
Mai
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Nuts and bolts about my first 5K

So, it might just be on Labor day - here's what I'm considering.

Bad Habit Productions 5K

Now, I will be arriving by city bus (I don't drive), I'll be alone - so I won't have a car to use as a locker. I figure I will need to bring -

1) a little money
2) ID
3) keys (although I could rely on dh to let me back in the house) - I can just carry one key, so it won't be my giant flappy key ring.
4) bus pass

For the above, I think I'll need some sort of wallet that I can wear around my neck, but won't flap too much. Does someone know the perfect one?

If I'd have places to store things I'd take more, like extra water, change of socks for afterwards, bandaids, and other no value things - is it likely there will be some place to stow stuff if I'm not uptight about losing it? (like under the sign in table?)

Is there something you always wish you brought?

this sort of tiny planning will make me more likely to get it done....

Abby
Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Abby,
That sounds like a great race! Lots of fun!

As far as things to take or store. Pare down you keys to a single door key. You may need ID to pick up your race number. If you can pick up your number before the race, all of your ID info will be on your registration associated with your number and you may not need any further ID.

A little cash is always a good idea and of course your bus pass.

I do not recommend putting anything around your neck! I have visions of decapitation . There are waist belts made for just that sort of thing. You can tie your key into your shoe laces (practice first, but I do this all the time.) I also have a couple pairs of shorts with smallish zipper pockets at the back of the short, just under the waistband. It is just the right size for an ID, credit card and/or bus pass. One of the pairs is a Nike, not sure who made the other one.

Races will often have a spot to stash extra clothes or a satchel. You might contact the race director ahead of time and ask. In smaller races it is just at the registration table. Don't leave anything valuable, but change of shoes, or a fresh t-shirt always makes the trip back home a little more comfortable.

There should be lots of water, and snacks available after the race so you shouldn't need to worry about that.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Pam, decapitation would really cut into my time, so I'll try for a waist band arrangement.

How much before the race is a prudent arrival? "They" say one hour, but that seems like a lot of time to warm up and get stressed.

Abby
Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

I always tried to arrive at least an hour early, sometimes more depending on driving distance. It made for less stress over worrying about possible delays.

Gives plenty of time to park, check in and start getting the mind prepared.

A good warmup should take at least 15-20 minutes.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

Default getting closer, I think I'll actually do this..

I've got the best hubby in the world...

I didn't want to ask him to drive me, running is my thing, and not driving is also my thing, so I try not to be needy, but he said "of course I'll take you over, I want to see you cross the finish line".

So, between him and you guys, I think I might as well put my fee down now!

Abby
Old 08-31-2011, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dear_abby
I've got the best hubby in the world...

I didn't want to ask him to drive me, running is my thing, and not driving is also my thing, so I try not to be needy, but he said "of course I'll take you over, I want to see you cross the finish line".

So, between him and you guys, I think I might as well put my fee down now!

Abby
Since you will have a place to store your stuff and change, here's what I always had packed for race day.

Short sleeve t-shirt(for after the race)
Long sleeve t-shirt (for after the race)
short sleeve t-shirt(wicking material, for under racing top)
Long sleeve t-shirt (wicking material, for under racing top)
Tights
Gloves
Fleece headband
Wool hat
Extra socks
Thermal underwear-top and bottom
Sweat suit, heavy cotton in cold, nylon shell in hot weather.
Racing shoes

First Aid

3" Ace bandage
2" Ace bandage
box of assorted adhesive bandages
2-chemical cold packs
Neosporin
Anti-itch cream
Aspirin
Tylenol

Little bit of fashion advice-wearing the race t-shirt before finishing the race is slightly gauche (though many people are unaware of this and no one will be rude enough to mention it). This custom probably started with marathons where it's felt you have to earn the right to wear the shirt and filtered down to the shorter races.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

Speaking of marathons, it's probably a good idea to carry some vaseline in the first aid kit. I've never run one, just heard this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.