Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #421 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw07 View Post
Nice, sounds like you're off to a good start.
I ran my first Full Marathon this past December and it was brutal and I ended up walking for some of it (Calf cramps), but I did finish it
congrats on your full marathon!!
__________________
Fitday re-re-start date: 1/03/13
height: 5'3
re-start wt: 136
Current wt: 136
goal wt: 120 even 125 by 4/27/13...when i do my first half marathon

the reason i do it: http://www.kim-inge.com/
kimbur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #422 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
bojibridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 516
Default

Though I'd jump in here since I'm trying to exercise my running chops. I started a couch to 5k program a few weeks ago, and it's going well. I can do a 5k no problem, but I was needing some motivation and the thought of going to the gym was wigging me out, so I downloaded an app for it and figured I'd give it a try.

I'm thinking of signing up for the Chicago half-marathon in September with a friend. I like the timing, 'cause training for a half in the cold of PA right now would suck! Anyway, I'll let you know if I get up the courage to do it.
__________________
Joanna

Starting weight: 192.0 lbs (6/19/2011)
Lowest weight: 154.6 (6/25/2012)
Current weight: 164.4 lbs (10/28/2013)
Total lost: 27.6 lbs
Goal: 132 lbs
bojibridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #423 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojibridge View Post
Though I'd jump in here since I'm trying to exercise my running chops. I started a couch to 5k program a few weeks ago, and it's going well. I can do a 5k no problem, but I was needing some motivation and the thought of going to the gym was wigging me out, so I downloaded an app for it and figured I'd give it a try.

I'm thinking of signing up for the Chicago half-marathon in September with a friend. I like the timing, 'cause training for a half in the cold of PA right now would suck! Anyway, I'll let you know if I get up the courage to do it.
sounds like a great challenge and good motivation to continue with the running.
__________________
Fitday re-re-start date: 1/03/13
height: 5'3
re-start wt: 136
Current wt: 136
goal wt: 120 even 125 by 4/27/13...when i do my first half marathon

the reason i do it: http://www.kim-inge.com/
kimbur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #424 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 496
Default Triathalon

I haven't seen anyone on here talking about Triathalons. I have done 2. There are different events depending on what you are looking for. The one I did was Supersprint. It is the shortest one. At 47 and overweight it's all I could manage. However I must say that it is incredibly fun! And the training for it is great since you have to set yourself up with a run/bike/swim routine.

Before I ever tried one I went as a volunteer. It was a good way to learn how it works plus I saw that there were people like me competing. Not all superathletes. My first goal was to finish, that's it, no time goals. I think that more and more these events are accommodating ordinary people and I think that they are really growing.

Just some food for thought for anyone looking for something new to do/train for/try.

Robin
Robingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #425 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robingen View Post
I haven't seen anyone on here talking about Triathalons. I have done 2. There are different events depending on what you are looking for. The one I did was Supersprint. It is the shortest one. At 47 and overweight it's all I could manage. However I must say that it is incredibly fun! And the training for it is great since you have to set yourself up with a run/bike/swim routine.

Before I ever tried one I went as a volunteer. It was a good way to learn how it works plus I saw that there were people like me competing. Not all superathletes. My first goal was to finish, that's it, no time goals. I think that more and more these events are accommodating ordinary people and I think that they are really growing.

Just some food for thought for anyone looking for something new to do/train for/try.


Robin
Congrats on the two triathlons!! I find your story very motivating since i am just starting to run at 45.
__________________
Fitday re-re-start date: 1/03/13
height: 5'3
re-start wt: 136
Current wt: 136
goal wt: 120 even 125 by 4/27/13...when i do my first half marathon

the reason i do it: http://www.kim-inge.com/
kimbur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #426 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 496
Default Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbur96 View Post
Congrats on the two triathlons!! I find your story very motivating since i am just starting to run at 45.
Thanks Kim. I only started running at 46! And only because my younger sister talked me into going to a Learn to run5k program with her. I also never owned a bike. I used my son's mountain bike at the first triathlon and then bought a second hand hybrid last year.

I am pretty slow. And you know what, I don't care. I am there for me. Not to win any prizes. I think that the fitness benefits are incredible and that's what matters. I will try to beat my own time this year. That's it. Even if it's a minute.

You signed up for a half marathon and you can do it. You train for it and you do it. Even if you have to walk part way. Who cares. It is an incredible accomplishment and you will not regret it not at all. I have done a couple 5k runs. But never any type of marathon. that inspires me

Robin
Robingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #427 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
sw07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 562
Default

There's a run/bike/paddle triathlon every July here in my town and I've been wanting to do it. I just have to invest in getting a decent road bike and kayak to enter into the Ironman div., the running part is cake


Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbur96 View Post
congrats on your full marathon!!
Thanks!
sw07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #428 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
bojibridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 516
Default

Ran today - 2.77 miles. My aim when I go out is to do just a little more than I did the last time. I use, in addition to my C25k app, the Nike running app. I really like hearing how I'm doing as I go along. I've mapped out a new route for next time, we'll see how it goes.
__________________
Joanna

Starting weight: 192.0 lbs (6/19/2011)
Lowest weight: 154.6 (6/25/2012)
Current weight: 164.4 lbs (10/28/2013)
Total lost: 27.6 lbs
Goal: 132 lbs
bojibridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #429 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw07 View Post
There's a run/bike/paddle triathlon every July here in my town and I've been wanting to do it. I just have to invest in getting a decent road bike and kayak to enter into the Ironman div., the running part is cake



Thanks!
That sounds fun but expensive. I know a good bike is a lot. That's why I bought mine second hand.

I know that you can rent racing bikes for events, don't know what it costs. Probably kayaks as well.
Robingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #430 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 160
Default

so I officially started this HM training program yesterday. It's pretty kewl because you enter your info, age, average mileage per week, a recent race distance and time, then you goal race and date and it comes up with a plan for you specifically to reach your goal. Up until now i had just been doing whatever, nothing formal. So yesterday was a 2 mile easy run. I like this program because it starts out really slow building a good base for me before trying to add mileage. It adds speed work in week 6 when i have a good base established and has me reaching a goal of a HM in 2:30 by April 27th. I feeling pretty good about this now
__________________
Fitday re-re-start date: 1/03/13
height: 5'3
re-start wt: 136
Current wt: 136
goal wt: 120 even 125 by 4/27/13...when i do my first half marathon

the reason i do it: http://www.kim-inge.com/
kimbur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exercise advice, running, support, walking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2