Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lastri
Just have a quick question.
Do you warm up before a run? And what kind of warm up, tips you can share?

I usually start slow like a jog then speed up a bit. Half way in, I stretch for a couple minutes and then continues.
mai
For an ordinary training run, no specific warmup is needed. Do as you're doing, just start a bit slower and pick it up when you feel ready.

Stretch after your run and make it a complete routine. Recent studies have shown that stretching temporarily weakens muscles so it's best done after a workout.

Before a race or hard, anaerobic workout:jog 10-15 min with an increase in speed over the last few minutes. Do several strideouts(controlled sprints, don't strain) 4-6 of appx 100yds. Finish your warmup as close to the start as possible. Stay loose on the line, jog in place every few minutes and a short sprint in place if needed.

Experiment with your warmup, everyone is a bit different and no one routine is optimal for all.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I used to never really warm up, I'd just start out a little slower and then pick up the pace.

These days, I usually start with a walk. At my age I seem to wake up creaky and a bit achey no matter what I did the day before, so the walk help get everything back in working order. After about a quarter mile I'll start to jog, and then it depends on what the run's objective is from there.

I do a bit of stretching afterwards, but I am not religious about it. I do, however, do yoga 2 or 3 times a week, independently of the runs.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys, I will do as I already did. But I definitely add a stretch cool down at the end.
I usually don't do it. But I heard a few minutes cool down go a long way.

Pam, I know yoga is good for muscles stretching. But I don't do that very often. Stretch after run would be benefit.

Mai
Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

I'll usually do a light pre-run stretch, and then I'll start off slow till things start loosening up then get into a decent stride depending on how long I intend on running for. I'll definitely do a cool down stretch routine when done.

I've got a 5k race this Saturday so I'm taking it easy all week.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default Wrong date AARGH

So, September 11th I have a church meeting which I really should attend (a committee I'm pushy on), and it's the opening day of our church year, which is a big deal, but it's the day of the Ovarian Cancer 5K - a good friend got a serious diagnosis with that two years ago, and thankfully, responded well to treatment.

She's doing this event, and I contributed to her run, but would love to make it my first 5K too. However, I think I'll say "there's another weekend for that..."

Abby
Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Bummer, Abby. Keep looking, the fall is usually jam pack with races.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

My oldest DD picked up a flier for a 5K on September 10th, and waved it at me asking if she could do that for her birthday (so not like her). We actually have been invited to a party out of town that day, but maybe we can find a different one.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
My oldest DD picked up a flier for a 5K on September 10th, and waved it at me asking if she could do that for her birthday (so not like her). We actually have been invited to a party out of town that day, but maybe we can find a different one.
Good ones for families are the ones labeled "run/walk"...generally more relaxed and you don't have really serious runners complaining about kids being "in the way."

If anyone wants to go on their own, the cystic fibrosis foundation's "Outrun CF" is October 1...it is a virtual run and you register for a fee but do it on your own time, at your own place, and for however long you want. Everyone does it on the same day across the US. It takes away the crowd's energy but it does go for a good cause and you get a cool shirt. I did 5K for the one in the spring and plan on doing this one as well; I have a relative with CF.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Good ones for families are the ones labeled "run/walk"...generally more relaxed and you don't have really serious runners complaining about kids being "in the way."
Virtually every race not only allows walkers and kids but welcomes them.

The reason that serious runners complain is that people let their children line up at the front.
The faster runners are often going for prizes for a high placing and don't need an obstacle course not to mention the danger to the kids.
Walkers should line up at the back, runners should line up in the pack about where they estimate they will finish e.g. if you usually finish in the middle, line up in the middle.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 AM
FitDay Member

Found a race, DD want's to do the 5K at the Detroit Zoo. It's $25/person, so I told her she can maybe invite 1-2 friends, but maybe we'll make it a family thing and do her party another day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.