TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Community
Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 11-26-2011, 01:00 PM
FitDay Member

Default Lacing

I came across these reference for lacing your shoes. I highly recommend the last link (the double slip knot) and have been using it for years. It NEVER comes untied!

Ian's Shoelace Site - Shoe Lacing Methods

Ian's Shoelace Site - Lock Lacing

Ian's Shoelace Site - Ian's Secure Shoelace Knot
Old 11-27-2011, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

wayne, as the others have said, walking breaks are fine. Jeff Galloway(1972 Olympics, 10,000 meter run) is a major advocate.

Vito(and others who may read this) perceived effort in cycling is very different from running. You can get an excellent workout without the apparent effort. As cycling is non-impact, the legs fatigue in a different way and your main clues are breathing rate/effort. However, you probably won't feel the effort until your heart rate reaches 80% or more.

If you can borrow a heart rate monitor, you'll see how hard cycling can be and yet not feel the effort.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 AM
FitDay Member

Good suggestion, HC. I haven't really thought of getting one, I've always used my breathing as an indicator of effort. But now that you mention it, it may be a good thing for me to acquire once I get back into biking for exercise again. Right now I've decided to stick with the running because my biking, for sure, had gotten too efficient. But this is not based upon any empirical data so yeah, I can really see how a heart rate monitor would help with my training.

I've also put my bike on the back burner since I can get a good workout in 45 minutes of running as opposed to the 2 hours I was putting into the pedals. And I've got goals to meet with running whereas I've met my goals for now with biking.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Good suggestion, HC. I haven't really thought of getting one, I've always used my breathing as an indicator of effort. But now that you mention it, it may be a good thing for me to acquire once I get back into biking for exercise again. Right now I've decided to stick with the running because my biking, for sure, had gotten too efficient. But this is not based upon any empirical data so yeah, I can really see how a heart rate monitor would help with my training.

I've also put my bike on the back burner since I can get a good workout in 45 minutes of running as opposed to the 2 hours I was putting into the pedals. And I've got goals to meet with running whereas I've met my goals for now with biking.
Actually, that's the point I was making. You get the same workout at the same heart rate for the same amount of time whether running or cycling. Fatigue is not always a good indicator of how difficult the workout is when comparing different activities.

Running builds fatigue faster as the impact not only produces more direct muscular fatigue but contributes to a higher overall fatigue.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Surprise race

It looks like I am going to run the Holiday Classic in Redland on Sunday. I think this is the first time I have ever said "yes" on the spur of the moment to a race. I usually have one in my sights for months and train for it. But for once I feel in good enough shape to just jump in. And I'm not really set on a PR on a podium place.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
It looks like I am going to run the Holiday Classic in Redland on Sunday. I think this is the first time I have ever said "yes" on the spur of the moment to a race. I usually have one in my sights for months and train for it. But for once I feel in good enough shape to just jump in. And I'm not really set on a PR on a podium place.
Awesome! Good luck on the run. The C.I.M. is also this Sunday, that's one of my long term goals is to participate in this race someday...

Last edited by sw07; 12-01-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:00 AM
FitDay Member

RbS, are you doing the 5K or the 15?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
RbS, are you doing the 5K or the 15?
The 15, but I am not planning on running full out (at least I am going to try not to... you know how races get, however). I am pretty well rested from the last one, but I know I am still not back to full strength. I've done a couple of 10 to 12 milers (gentle running) so I know I can finish, I will just have to hold myself back.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Ended up not running the race after all. I just had too many items on the todo list and I knew that I would be so wiped out (even if I succeeded in not running all out) after the race that I wouldn't get stuff done.

I definitely have the Death Valley 1/2 in Feb, and that's probably enough to keep me training
Old 12-10-2011, 01:09 PM
FitDay Member

I ran my last 5k race for this year...with a hangover
I don't recommend doing that
The weather was perfect- no wind and a brisk 34* temp.
Ran a 23:27 /7:34 pace and finished 28th of 233 and placed 7th in my age div.

The next race may be either New Year's day and/or in mid Jan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.