Urbanmule, sample week:
Mon-tempo (warm up /cooldown) 1 mile 15-25 minutes at tempo pace
Tues-4-6 miles or cross train for same amount of time
Wed-OFF
Thurs-tempo (warm up /cooldown 1 mile) 15-25 minutes at tempo pace
Fri-4-6 miles or cross train for same amount of time
Sat-Long run
Sun-OFF
You don't need heavy mileage during the week, the long run will take care of that.

Yes, the body needs time to adjust to the increased demands of training. The bones, ligaments and tendons take much longer to build up than the muscles.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Yes, the body needs time to adjust to the increased demands of training. The bones, ligaments and tendons take much longer to build up than the muscles.
You said it HC! My arm and shoulder muscles have definitely adjusted to the weight lifting. It is the tendon and ligaments that are rebelling. I'm glad you confirmed my experience
Old 11-02-2011, 07:52 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default OK I'm ready to race

Hi All,
My goal is to run the 10K on Nov 13th at 9 min/mile or less. Not exactly an elite runner, here, but that's way faster than I have done before. So the training has gone well -no injuries, stresses or stains.

Given the training runs the last 3 weeks I pretty sure I'll achieve my goal.

The CrossFit has definitely help with chasing the hills and the general cardiovascular strength, but the only way to get the endurance and speed is to do the miles.

I have a fun, but challenging, trail run on Sunday and some "easier" gym WOs, runs, and yoga workouts planned for next week - nothing too hard, but I don't want to be a slug either.

HC, thanks for the warmup tips, I'll be thinking of you (and everyone else on this thread) as I toe up to the line.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Hi All,
My goal is to run the 10K on Nov 13th at 9 min/mile or less. Not exactly an elite runner, here, but that's way faster than I have done before. So the training has gone well -no injuries, stresses or stains.

Given the training runs the last 3 weeks I pretty sure I'll achieve my goal.

The CrossFit has definitely help with chasing the hills and the general cardiovascular strength, but the only way to get the endurance and speed is to do the miles.

I have a fun, but challenging, trail run on Sunday and some "easier" gym WOs, runs, and yoga workouts planned for next week - nothing too hard, but I don't want to be a slug either.

HC, thanks for the warmup tips, I'll be thinking of you (and everyone else on this thread) as I toe up to the line.
Good Luck! I'll also be running a 5k on the same day
Old 11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Nice to see you back SW
Good luck on your race as well!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:05 AM
FitDay Member

Just checking in.

Finally running without any achilles pain. Running longer times and feeling decent after. The road to recovery continues, still not in the condition I'd like to be. Actually enjoying running more than biking right now.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Just checking in.

Finally running without any achilles pain. Running longer times and feeling decent after. The road to recovery continues, still not in the condition I'd like to be. Actually enjoying running more than biking right now.
Congrats!

I'm in the fourth week of my half marathon training and things are going very good.

I'm looking to run my upcoming 5k in under 30. I can run 3 miles easily, however it's at a 11 minute/mile pace... will interval training help get me under 10 (closer to 9) in less then a month? or should i settle for 11 for my first 5k?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Urbanmule
Congrats!

I'm in the fourth week of my half marathon training and things are going very good.

I'm looking to run my upcoming 5k in under 30. I can run 3 miles easily, however it's at a 11 minute/mile pace... will interval training help get me under 10 (closer to 9) in less then a month? or should i settle for 11 for my first 5k?
With only three weeks, there will be some improvement but not much. Intervals only increase speed temporarily, you do not improve fitness. Rather, you improve efficiency and resistance to fatigue poisons.
This is not a state the body can maintain long term.

You will gain fitness and speed by just continuing to train and build miles.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
With only three weeks, there will be some improvement but not much. Intervals only increase speed temporarily, you do not improve fitness. Rather, you improve efficiency and resistance to fatigue poisons.
This is not a state the body can maintain long term.

You will gain fitness and speed by just continuing to train and build miles.
Okay, I get pretty winded after 2 miles if I run at 6 or 6.5 mph, but if I stay at a constant slower speed I have no breathing problems...
Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Urbanmule
Okay, I get pretty winded after 2 miles if I run at 6 or 6.5 mph, but if I stay at a constant slower speed I have no breathing problems...
I ran a 5.5 mile (wed) and a 5 mile (sat) my pacing was at 10min. and I was still going strong by the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.