TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Community
Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Pam, same as your 5K. The aerobic/anaerobic demands are similar(10K-90/10%, 5K-80/20%) and require a solid warmup.

What is your routine?

That's the problem I don't really have a solid warm up for a race. For training I walk, jog, run (short) then stretch before heading into the meat of the run. For 1/2's I do some plyometrics - hops and jumps - to get the heart rate up and then a few yoga poses, plus the usually runs back and forth to the port-a-pottie. But usually go out slowish on the first 1/2 mile and use that as the warm-up. The last 5K was nearly 10 years ago when I was just starting to get serious about running. I did a few strides and again stretches - expecially hip flexors which tend to bother me if I'm cold, but other than that mostly milled around.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

There are several reasons for a proper warup for racing or a hard interval session.
1. The body functions better at a slightly elevated temperature. (hence, warmup)
2. The neuromuscular system is stimulated to work at the expected rhythm and stress levels.
3. A well established routine prepares you mentally for the effort ahead.

My routine:
Jog 1-1 1/2 miles depending on weather( colder-longer) accelerating over the last 1/4 mile.
3x150m fast, each a little faster than the previous.(800 race pace and faster)
300m fast appx. mile race pace.
2x30m high knee drives
2x30m butt kicks
2x30m bounding
Water.
Go to line and start.
Note: this was my routine for a track workout. For a road race I would go by appx. time/effort.
I did favor smaller races(no more than maybe 1,000 runners tops) that made it easy to get to the line just a few minutes before the start.
For large races, do your warmup and get in place, you'll probably have to jog/sprint in place off and on to maintain your readiness.

Very light stretching before only. A heavy duty stretching session temporarily weakens muscles, save for after.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

So I started training for the 1/2 marathon. I read somewhere that working on speed, tempo, and endurance (in that order) is the best way to go for 1/2 marathons and marathons spending about 8 weeks on each aspect... is there any truth to this/is this a good way to go about it?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Urbanmule
So I started training for the 1/2 marathon. I read somewhere that working on speed, tempo, and endurance (in that order) is the best way to go for 1/2 marathons and marathons spending about 8 weeks on each aspect... is there any truth to this/is this a good way to go about it?
Other way around. Endurance first followed by tempo. Unless you're approaching sub 7 minute mile pace, speedwork has little use.

Typical week for half marathon

1 long run-build to 10 miles at least, preferably up to 15-17 miles.
Fewer miles are needed if your goal is to finish, more for racing.
Run at an easy pace.

2 tempo runs-20-24 minutes at tempo pace plus 1 mile warm up/cool down.

Starting from 3 months out, you can start doing some long intervals-these are for efficiency of movement. 4-6 1200m at 5K race pace. The half marathon is not an anaerobic event so high intensity intervals are not needed.

Taper starting from two weeks out.

Edited to add: Take one day a week off and three easy days of low mileage and/or cross training.

Last edited by handcycle2005; 10-21-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Urbanmule,
Your training plan pretty much depends on where you are starting. If you don't quite have the endurance to run 10 miles, for the moment leave the intervals and tempos aside and work on building the endurance. If 10 to 13 miles is doable for you, then add in intervals and tempos.

I usually try to do one of each every week. The weekends are usually reserved for the long run, and sometime between Mon and Fri I try to get an interval session and a tempo (in the spirit of full disclosure - it doesn't always work out that way).

For me spending as long as 8 weeks on each (apart from the endurance) would not work, because each of the training runs support the other.

Hey HC, you beat me to it!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
FitDay Member

This is what my schedule looks like:

My race is 7 months out...
Old 10-22-2011, 10:28 AM
FitDay Premium Member

That's quite a schedule Urban.

Make sure that you get ample rest - 'cuz that's when you are actually buiding your muscles. And with such a rigorous schedule, if you start to feel like you just can't do a run every now and again, take it as a sign you need a day off. You will be better for it.

No sense in working super hard and then getting injured a week before the race due to over training.

Most of us have been there, right guys?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:44 AM
FitDay Member

Urban, you could make Monday/Friday runs your tempo days. Move the long run to Sat so you have a day off after, you'll really need it as late in the schedule, the long run distance ramps up quickly.
Be careful with the Wed/Th combo, that's two days of relatively high mileage in a row.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
No sense in working super hard and then getting injured a week before the race due to over training.

Most of us have been there, right guys?
LOL.....yep, been there, done that
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

RunBikeSki: That is one of my biggest worries, getting hurt, but I'm taking it pretty easy and will for sure stop if I feel pain. So far the runs are easy, but I know I need the foundation to build on in the long run(no pun intended)

HC2005: What if I moved my wed to tues? and then moved my sun to sat?

One other question, I run 1.5 miles one day then 2.3 another then 3.0 and so on... How does training like this work? Is it just getting my body slowly adjusted to the mileage? almost like "tricking" it into being able to have more endurance? does that make sense?

If all else fails I hope to just be in better health at the end of this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.