TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club >

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Community
Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks HC, I will try to do a bit different this time. I am not sure if that a good plan. I am still running, however, I will do more cross training such as swimming, water running, and biking to avoid injury. and I will do some races when it's time. Do you think that work?
Mai
Old 10-05-2011, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

While racing can be a good incentive for starting a running program, it can also cause problems in new runners who haven't yet built the mileage base to handle the stress.

However, I'll work with what you want.

Your main focus should be to build mileage slowly(and yes, keep cross-training) and stay injury free.
Keep your racing efforts to 5K or below.
Use 10Ks as a training/social run, do not try for a best time.
Remember that racing hard breaks down fitness. Do it sparingly.
I always recommend that new runners spend at least a year building up miles before attempting fast training such as tempo runs or intervals.

Be aware that an all-out effort 10K is very stressful to all runners. Even world class runners will only attempt an all-out 10K once or twice per season.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Smile The joy of new shoes

And new socks.

I have pretty serious bunions. As long as I am careful with my shoe selection they rarely give me any problems. But finding running shoes that fit properly takes a lot of research and an occasional return (one of the reasons I buy from Road Runners is their very liberal return policy - even after a run or two). The bunions also tend to wear out the tops of the shoes before soles break down.

Last long run I noticed that my shoes really needed replacing before my race in Nov. So to save time, I drove a few extra miles to the closest running store and got a pro to help. We went through about half a dozen pairs and settled on Brooks Ghost 4s.

Today's tempo run was a such a pleasure! My feet were the last thing on my mind. Ahhhhh, I love running
Old 10-06-2011, 01:42 AM
FitDay Member

Good deal! I've become a Brooks believer myself recently!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks HC,
Your plan sounds good to me.
I should take back and do more cross training, stay injury free.
I actually still recover from that race. I signed up with a friend and don't want to let her down. I will try to be more cautious for sure.
Mai
Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Training is going pretty well, although I haven't put down quite the miles I think I should. However, today's run at elevation showed me that my 9 min/mi goal is pretty much on track.

I hope all you racers are healling up and thinking about the next race!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 AM
FitDay Member

Well, my injury has pretty much healed up and no "real" pain left, just a lil sore still. So I decided to ease back into it and ran a very slow 4.5 miles after work yesterday and it felt great.
I'm also gonna go for a bike ride later today before the wet weather moves back in

It's been tough without that constant cardio-calorie burn for the last 3 weeks and my current weight definitely shows it.
I tipped the scales yesterday morning @ 169lbs and before my injury, I kept it at a constant 163-164 range- oh well, no biggie

I also got some blood tests back last week (routine stuff) and my cholesterol went up a lil, but still within the recommended range. It was 164 in April and now its now (Oct) its 194, I'll contribute that to the increase in red meat over the last 6 mos- summertime bbq'ing with to many fatty steaks and not enough fish.
That's ok, my next test will be in April and I want to get back to my previous number of 164, which is totally doable. I also have to cut way down on the beers....those numbers also showed up a lil high...oops, those blood tests don't lie
Old 10-17-2011, 06:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

SW have you looked into the "Run less, Run faster" training program? I've found that it has really kept me injury free, but still improving. The idea is 3 runs a week, with some cross training inbetween. Each run has a specific purpose. It is much like the training program HC laid out for you. 1 endurance run, 1 interval session, and 1 tempo run.

Although it isn't as free-form as you seem to love, it might help in keeping you from over doing it
Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Question for the coach:

HC, I have a 10K coming up in a month or so. It recently occurred to me that I have never actually raced this distance. A few 5Ks years back, but mostly 1/2 maras and a few fulls more recently.

So the question is: What kind of warm up do you recommend? For full and 1/2 marathons that's what the first mile or 2 is for, but I am pretty clueless regarding how to warm up for the 10K.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:59 PM
FitDay Member

Pam, same as your 5K. The aerobic/anaerobic demands are similar(10K-90/10%, 5K-80/20%) and require a solid warmup.

What is your routine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.