TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Community
Notices
Like Tree1Likes

TEAM FITDAY: Running and walking club

Old 09-18-2011, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

"Did you do any light activity at all?"

Nada. So I guess the reason is "I took it too easy". Oh well, hopefully I didn't slip too much. At least I don't feel sore or tired tonight. I just couldn't perform today on the bike. I'll make sure to take in a nutritious breakfast tomorrow before I go tackle my workout in the morning. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

Well, it looks like I made out pretty good with my slothful rest after all. Yesterday and today I've put some serious crankin to the mountain bike and the legs have been strong and the breathing good. The best part is that I feel great afterward with no soreness. I'm feeling really fresh.

It looks like just getting past that first day was the thing...
Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calf injury

BAh...went for a run yesterday and at my first turn around point I pulled something in my right calf. So I stopped, stretched a lil and tried again- nope, no go. Only ran about 3/4 mile before that happened.
Went home & iced it, feels better today, but still sore and I got a race on Sunday

I believe I injured the inner part of my soleus, just below the gastrocnemius. Got any advice HC?

Last edited by sw07; 09-28-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

Yes, ice and gentle stretching.

Forget the race. Calf strains can be the very devil to get rid of.
Cross train until pain free, then ease back.

Any idea what caused it?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Yes, ice and gentle stretching.

Forget the race. Calf strains can be the very devil to get rid of.
Cross train until pain free, then ease back.

Any idea what caused it?
I iced it as soon as I got home and every couple of hours that night. I also iced it the following day after I got home from work.
Did some light stretching this morning and it feels way better, I also took some ibuprofen the first two days.

I do know what caused it, first off, I didn't stretch too well before starting my run Tues. afternoon. I started off slow for about 3/4 mile, and once I got to my turn around point, that's when it happened. I think I pushed off too hard when I turned around- more like a forceful twisting motion.

It didn't hurt real bad a first, but after about 1/4 mile it did. I stopped, tried to stretch it and walked for a bit, stretched again and proceeded into a slow jog. At that point, I thought to myself "I'm done", the pain was getting worse, so I walked back to my car, stretched a lil more then went home. I took some ibuprofen, cracked open an ice cold beer and iced my calf.

I did run the previous weekend- ran 5.7 miles on Sat, and 7 miles Sunday and was pain free both days, so I don't know if that contributed to it or not.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:56 AM
FitDay Member

You pulled it. No racing for you.

Ice, NSAIDs and massage with a stick. Hard and deep. The Stick or you can use a dowel or small rolling pin.

If cycling is pain free, do it. Otherwise swimming or Deep Water Running will do the job.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:27 AM
FitDay Member

You pulled it. No racing for you.

Ice, NSAIDs and massage with a stick. Hard and deep. The Stick or you can use a dowel or small rolling pin.

If cycling is pain free, do it. Otherwise swimming or Deep Water Running will do the job.
Crap, that sucks....I've already paid the entrant fee, perhaps just walking the course on race day?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

No.
One of the reasons that calf injuries are so difficult to resolve is because it's near impossible to not use your calves.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

No.
One of the reasons that calf injuries are so difficult to resolve is because it's near impossible to not use your calves.
Bummer, I guess I'll sit this one out, I've got another race the following weekend and hopefully I'll be healed up for that.

That's what I get for saving a few bucks and paying for a race too far in advance
Old 09-29-2011, 05:30 AM
FitDay Member

That's part of racing. I never missed a race due to injury but missed a few due to colds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.