Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Any one using a watch type heart rate monitor? >

Any one using a watch type heart rate monitor?

Notices

Any one using a watch type heart rate monitor?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 PM
FitDay Member

Default Any one using a watch type heart rate monitor?

I have been looking at them on EBAY, and I am always inclined to buy the least expensive, but do the cheap ones work properly?

Do you use one?
Old 08-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

I had a ~$60 one. It worked good enough to let me know that I needed to see cardiologist.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 AM
FitDay Member

Heart rate monitors have been around long enough to be a reliable technology.

Polar has always been the industry leader.

If all you want is a readout, any basic model will do.

However, some features are useful for record keeping/tracking. Maximum HR, average HR, average HR in zones all give a better feedback and basis with which to compare to previous workouts.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Just realized you're asking about the watch type HRM. Do you mean watch only or the type with a chest strap?

The chest strap models are the way to go. The watch type that have sensors on the watch are pretty near useless.
It's difficult to make proper contact while moving and your heart rate falls very quickly once you stop moving.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default yes i use a very cheap one and love it!

I bought the very cheapest one i could find at costco (about $30) about a year ago and have LOVED it ever since. it does heart rate, calories as i walk, pace, time, chrono, everything i need. it even does a couple of things i don't need and have never bothered to learn!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM
FitDay Member

If you mean there is no chest strap monitor, then save your money and get one with a chest strap instead! The wrist watch only versions are pretty unreliable in comparison.

A few years ago I bought 2 cheap heart rate monitors for $14 each in a sale. They worked just fine, and when compared with my $300 Garmin they gave the exact same readings. Plus, leaving one in a gym locker, or putting it through the laundry by accident wasn't an expensive event. So, if you just want an instant read out of your heart rate I'd say buy cheap! If you want to record your heart rate during a workout and upload it to your computer you will probably have to spend ~$100, or buy a chest strap plus and adaptor for your 'smart phone' (total cost ~$60).