Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Heart Rate Monitors - looking for opinions/advice >

Heart Rate Monitors - looking for opinions/advice

Notices

Heart Rate Monitors - looking for opinions/advice

Old 06-27-2011, 01:41 PM
FitDay Member

Default Heart Rate Monitors - looking for opinions/advice

If you own a HRM, please share what type/brand and approx. cost and postitives and negatives about it. I am a runner, but like to do other activities, and am curious about how close my calorie burn estimates are. Money IS an object for me, but I don't want to end up with junk by saving a few $s.
Any advice for me?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I recently upgraded my venerable old Forerunner, (made by Garmin) for a model that included a HRM. I think the cost was about $150 on Amazon. Since I needed to replace my aging Forerunner (which it seems I can't run without these days) the little bit extra for the HRM was worth the price.

I only use it periodically, but when I do I have been very pleased with the results. Garmin, is one of the leaders in the GPS industry and I have had super luck with them, including a replacement for my orginal Forerunner when it crapped out even though it was long past warrentee.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

I have had a Polar for about a year and a half now. I think it was an F&; I don't think they still make it. It was a basic one that did heart rate and calories burned, time in target zone, cumulative exercise for week, etc. It does everything I need and probably more. I paid $99 for it, on sale at Sports Authority.

It was really invaluable to me. Since I'm shorter than the average person, the estimates of calories burned during exercise are usually off for me; now there is no guesswork.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 06-28-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

Calorie figures are only an estimate at best.
Everyone has varying degrees of efficiency while exercising.

Efficiency can even vary between activities.

Your best measure is weight loss/gain and body fat measurements.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

Of course I realize that the calories are estimates! I would like to see what's "normal" for my heart rate while running, and if things change when my running improves.
Thanks Pam and Cassie. I ordered a forerunner through Amazon - am really excited about the gps feature and the fact that it'll keep track of things I'm too busy to record on my own!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

You would need to be tested in a lab to find your burn rate.

There's no consumer level personal device that can truly measure an individual's stats.

Some, like the Forerunners, use body weight, heart rate and age to make a closer guess but it's still a guess.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
You would need to be tested in a lab to find your burn rate.

There's no consumer level personal device that can truly measure an individual's stats.

Some, like the Forerunners, use body weight, heart rate and age to make a closer guess but it's still a guess.

Ummm... yup, but who's got the time and money to bother with the clinical analysis. I believe most of us know that the proof is in the pudding, i.e what the scale or the measuring tape says. These devises are merely helpful advisors. We know that we are always free to take their advise or not, or adjust the information to fit our particular characteristics.

Nottango, I hope you get as much pleasure out of the Garmin as I have.
One day I decided to use the "running partner" feature and set it for a very challenging pace. Much to my surprise, it really worked and pushed me to go faster than I really thought I was capable of . On the other hand, it will also let you know when you are truely dogging it and not putting in the pace you think you are.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default update...

I've used my new forerunner twice now, and love it! It's a fun new toy.
Unfortunately my training partner (Tango, my dog) isn't as enthusiastic about pushing a little harder!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Excellent.

IMO having of running partner, either 2 or 4 legged, is worth losing a little bit of training intensity in exchange for the company.