Notices

Multiple Workouts a Day

Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Multiple Workouts a Day

Hello everyone...

I am wanting to kick my weight loss in to the next gear. My question is does working out twice a day help?

My morning workout is about an hour. I rotate swimming pool workout twice a week and jogging/weight training four days.

I am thinking of adding a jogging session of about 2/3 miles each evening during the week.

I don't want to add the extra work if I am not going to realize a benefit.

Does anyone have any suggestions.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:41 PM
FitDay Member

It's more calories burned so it should give you a bigger deficit. If you can do it, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Just make sure you don't eat more and lose the advantage that the extra workout gives you.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

I agree, with rmdaly. The extra cardio can really help you burn fat. This is exactly what bodybuilders do when they are preparing for a show. Don't forsake the weight lifting, just add more cardio.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

Honestly, it is more about the diet than anything and too much cardio can backfire.

How many calories are you eating a day? How much protein?

In theory, it seems like extra workouts would be a good thing for losing weight, in reality-it's about the diet.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

I average between 1200 - 1500 calories a day. I try and get 35 grams of protein in my diet a day.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:00 PM
FitDay Member

I hope the 35g of protein a day is a typo and you meant 135g! By my calculations, if you do cardio and weight training you should actually be eating around 168g of protein a day. Are you following a certain "diet"?

1200-1500 calories a day is very low for a guy your size so, no I would not add more activity at that calorie level.

You already have a large deficit - more cardio is not going to have much impact and could actually hurt your weight loss efforts.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

Yes, I actually meant 95g of protein a day is my average.

So given my deficit do you feel I should lose more than two pounds a week. With the amount of exercise I am doing and eating at that calorie count I would assume I would lose more.

I am thinking about meeting with a personal trainer to see what I can do to maximize my weight loss efforts.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

Garry,

You need to eat more protein!

Yes, your deficit is huge which is why I think you are already doing too much activity. Dieting is stressful to the body and so is a lot of intense activity and one or the other has to go.

I understand wanting to lose weight fast and I do know for a fact that it can be done safely, but you have to follow some rules and the first two right off the bat are protein consumption and amount of activity. A couple of weight training sessions per week and maybe some moderate cardio is all you should do.

If you want to maximize your weight loss efforts, it is about diet at this point (it changes a little when you get closer to your goal weight).

There is a lot of VERY good information about all of this on bodyrecomposition.com. The author knows his stuff and I think you could really benefit from his expertise. Over the years, I have read a lot and tried a lot and his info is solid.

Check it out and let me know what you think. I, personally have bought only one if his books (there is so much info for free on his site) but I re-read it constantly, it is just that informative.

Renae
Old 06-20-2011, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with RENOAK on several points, protein is essential and I would think your should be at a minimum around 150g/daily. Too large a calorie deficit can stall your weight loss efforts. Your body thinks it is starving and goes into conservation mode to try to hold onto every ounce.

I disagree that more cardio will trigger the above mentioned starvation mode. Multiple workout sessions can help to increase your metabolism. You must, as RENOAK mentioned, be aware of your calorie deficit. I am not an expert but I have followed MECOMPCO's posts (he was also over 400 pounds) over the past year and I believe he accomplished his success with a 1500-2000 calorie/day diet. Look for MECOMPCO's posts to see how he was succesful.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default multiple workouts vs. work harder, not longer

Im no pro, but I would suggest you try interval training. There is also a wicked site bodyrock.tv(search it on google or facebook), there are crazy 20 minute interval workouts on there. You may overtrain if you workout twice a day, better to make one workout the killer. Interval workouts provide afterburn much longer then just plain cardio, and I suppose it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, ie...straight weight loss, or weight loss and muscle gain. Running tends to contribute to muscle loss as well as fat loss, but it is a fast way to lose unwanted weight. Just always remember 80% OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS HAS TO DO WITH WHAT YOU ARE PUTTING IN YOUR BODY, not what your workouts are like. If you want quick weight loss, mind what you are eating, don't cal down, cal up with proper nutrition and your body will respond as it should. Ive done the run a thon for weight loss, and yes it works, but I find I get much quicker results with interval training and disciplined food journaling, keeps you accountable. Also...1200 - 1500 calories is not nearly enough for a man your size, your body will hang onto everything it has because you are straving it. I eat about 1800 cals a day, smart calories though, and Im a 140lb woman.... add the protein to your calorie count though, not the carbs or starch or sugar.

Just my thoughts...
N

Last edited by doylenic72; 06-21-2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention about the calorie restiction...yikes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.