FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Multiple Workouts a Day (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/4510-multiple-workouts-day.html)

gbargsley 06-15-2011 11:52 AM

Multiple Workouts a Day

Hello everyone...

I am wanting to kick my weight loss in to the next gear. My question is does working out twice a day help?

My morning workout is about an hour. I rotate swimming pool workout twice a week and jogging/weight training four days.

I am thinking of adding a jogging session of about 2/3 miles each evening during the week.

I don't want to add the extra work if I am not going to realize a benefit.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

rmdaly 06-15-2011 02:41 PM

It's more calories burned so it should give you a bigger deficit. If you can do it, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Just make sure you don't eat more and lose the advantage that the extra workout gives you.

rpmcduff 06-16-2011 04:47 AM

I agree, with rmdaly. The extra cardio can really help you burn fat. This is exactly what bodybuilders do when they are preparing for a show. Don't forsake the weight lifting, just add more cardio.

RENOAK 06-16-2011 05:27 AM

Honestly, it is more about the diet than anything and too much cardio can backfire.

How many calories are you eating a day? How much protein?

In theory, it seems like extra workouts would be a good thing for losing weight, in reality-it's about the diet.

gbargsley 06-17-2011 08:29 AM

I average between 1200 - 1500 calories a day. I try and get 35 grams of protein in my diet a day.

RENOAK 06-17-2011 05:00 PM

I hope the 35g of protein a day is a typo and you meant 135g! By my calculations, if you do cardio and weight training you should actually be eating around 168g of protein a day. Are you following a certain "diet"?

1200-1500 calories a day is very low for a guy your size so, no I would not add more activity at that calorie level.

You already have a large deficit - more cardio is not going to have much impact and could actually hurt your weight loss efforts.

gbargsley 06-18-2011 01:31 AM

Yes, I actually meant 95g of protein a day is my average.

So given my deficit do you feel I should lose more than two pounds a week. With the amount of exercise I am doing and eating at that calorie count I would assume I would lose more.

I am thinking about meeting with a personal trainer to see what I can do to maximize my weight loss efforts.

RENOAK 06-18-2011 04:31 AM

Garry,

You need to eat more protein!

Yes, your deficit is huge which is why I think you are already doing too much activity. Dieting is stressful to the body and so is a lot of intense activity and one or the other has to go.

I understand wanting to lose weight fast and I do know for a fact that it can be done safely, but you have to follow some rules and the first two right off the bat are protein consumption and amount of activity. A couple of weight training sessions per week and maybe some moderate cardio is all you should do.

If you want to maximize your weight loss efforts, it is about diet at this point (it changes a little when you get closer to your goal weight).

There is a lot of VERY good information about all of this on bodyrecomposition.com. The author knows his stuff and I think you could really benefit from his expertise. Over the years, I have read a lot and tried a lot and his info is solid.

Check it out and let me know what you think. I, personally have bought only one if his books (there is so much info for free on his site) but I re-read it constantly, it is just that informative.

Renae

rpmcduff 06-20-2011 08:06 AM

I agree with RENOAK on several points, protein is essential and I would think your should be at a minimum around 150g/daily. Too large a calorie deficit can stall your weight loss efforts. Your body thinks it is starving and goes into conservation mode to try to hold onto every ounce.

I disagree that more cardio will trigger the above mentioned starvation mode. Multiple workout sessions can help to increase your metabolism. You must, as RENOAK mentioned, be aware of your calorie deficit. I am not an expert but I have followed MECOMPCO's posts (he was also over 400 pounds) over the past year and I believe he accomplished his success with a 1500-2000 calorie/day diet. Look for MECOMPCO's posts to see how he was succesful.

doylenic72 06-20-2011 09:04 AM

multiple workouts vs. work harder, not longer

Im no pro, but I would suggest you try interval training. There is also a wicked site bodyrock.tv(search it on google or facebook), there are crazy 20 minute interval workouts on there. You may overtrain if you workout twice a day, better to make one workout the killer. Interval workouts provide afterburn much longer then just plain cardio, and I suppose it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, ie...straight weight loss, or weight loss and muscle gain. Running tends to contribute to muscle loss as well as fat loss, but it is a fast way to lose unwanted weight. Just always remember 80% OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS HAS TO DO WITH WHAT YOU ARE PUTTING IN YOUR BODY, not what your workouts are like. If you want quick weight loss, mind what you are eating, don't cal down, cal up with proper nutrition and your body will respond as it should. Ive done the run a thon for weight loss, and yes it works, but I find I get much quicker results with interval training and disciplined food journaling, keeps you accountable. Also...1200 - 1500 calories is not nearly enough for a man your size, your body will hang onto everything it has because you are straving it. I eat about 1800 cals a day, smart calories though, and Im a 140lb woman.... add the protein to your calorie count though, not the carbs or starch or sugar.

Just my thoughts...
N

wowgirl88 06-20-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by doylenic72 (Post 49025)
There is also a wicked site bodyrock.com, there are crazy 20 minute interval workouts on there.

Hey, tried to check out the site, can you check your link? I'm interested in it, but it's some music/audio site, not fitness.

Cheers.

RENOAK 06-20-2011 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by rpmcduff (Post 49023)
Too large a calorie deficit can stall your weight loss efforts.

A large calorie deficit can work very well if done properly.

I disagree that more cardio will trigger the above mentioned starvation mode.

I never said anything about "starvation mode" or that more cardio will trigger it.

Multiple workout sessions can help to increase your metabolism.

At this point, it is the deficit that is important. Cardio becomes more important for maintenance. With a huge deficit, a lot of aerobic activity will likely cause a drop in metabolic rate.

You must, as RENOAK mentioned, be aware of your calorie deficit.

Only in the respect that you are getting enough protein and EFA's (fish oil) and some other things and not doing too much cardio if in a large deficit.

Im no pro, but I would suggest you try interval training.

Not with a deficit as large as his. Interval training is great but hard to recover from on minimal calories.

Running tends to contribute to muscle loss as well as fat loss

Agreed, I would cut the running. But then, I don't like running!!

Also...1200 - 1500 calories is not nearly enough for a man your size

For weight loss, it is if it's done right.

your body will hang onto everything it has because you are straving it.

Not true. But I bet the loved ones of anorexics wish it were!

doylenic72 06-21-2011 03:10 AM

http://www.bodyrock.tv/

here you go. She's in the best shape I've ever seen anyone in. Amazing. I hope you enjoy. The workouts are KILLER:eek:

wowgirl88 06-22-2011 10:48 AM

Thanks mate, appreciate it. I like picturing super-fit women's bodies with my head rather than theirs... that will be me one day! :D

doylenic72 06-23-2011 03:40 AM

Picture yourself in incredible shape. I've been readin about visualization and the world athletes use it to win races, games, etc...so we should use it as well. I subscribe to the Oxygen magazine as well, love it, there are real women in there, and 2 wonderful success stories each issue. And it shows you have to weight train properly for weight loss. Good luck with the forces, go big or stay home I always say.

N

Stats: 5' 5"
Overall goal is to be Jiggle free for the big 40 next summer

Jan 2011 = 168.5 lbs

Today June 23.2011 = 140.0 lbs

1st Goal = 132lbs by August 15.2011
2nd Goal = NO JIGGLE by August 15.2012

lee201255 06-27-2011 05:53 AM

ok gang i found this

Doug's 5 Day High Definition Routine | Muscle & Strength

which im going to try to do, i did the first day- Arms, this morning as well as what i planned for an hour of cardio. I'm a student at a big university so we have a state of the art gym for REALLY cheap that i need to make the most of.

I planned on 20 mins ski machine 20 miuns rowing plus 20 mins swimming for my morning workout. I really want results so I'm pushing hard on a 1300-1500 calorie diet.

I ended up doing 30 mins on the ski machine for 350 cals.... nice, and longer than ive ever gone but not what i wanted. i did most of the weight routine, with a few confused looks from the girls. "Why is that guy lifting the same as me?" lol im so weak and out of shape. or why is he here and not in McDonalds like he belongs lol ah well i guess my previous lifstyle makes me deserve it.

well evening workout is gonna be a 3 mile walk and a 3 mile bike ride. ugh i look like a polar bear on a bike. It makes me think of the circus.

Have fun all and hope you reach your goal soon

Lee

lee201255 06-27-2011 08:04 AM

Doug's 5 Day High Definition Routine | Muscle & Strength

i dunno why you got a music site?

ultimark 08-05-2011 06:12 AM

No, don't add more training. If you want to speed up your weight loss, eat less carbs, but eat most of them before and after your workouts, and eat a lot more protein.

butterflybabe1997 08-13-2011 07:43 AM

If you don't go overboard, I suppose it is good to do several in a day. I personally do two workouts a day, sometimes three. It's a good idea to me. Just make sure you eat right. A tip from my mom was that you should eat something with a bit of protien in it after your workout so that you can regain a bit of the energy you lost from exercising.

JohnAndrewSmith 11-15-2011 10:19 AM

I agree that you need to take more protein considering your size. Be sure to have some protein after your workout to replenish the energy you lost during the activity. But always remember also that aside from your workout, what you eat has huge impact on your losing weight. eating the right food will definitely be beneficial to you.

thebiggfella 11-18-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by RENOAK (Post 48798)
Honestly, it is more about the diet than anything and too much cardio can backfire.

Hit the nail on the head with this.

nyktelios 01-27-2012 04:10 PM

Im no pro, but I would suggest you try interval training. There is also a wicked site bodyrock.tv(search it on google or facebook), there are crazy 20 minute interval workouts on there.
N

Hey, what are you logging these as? I've been logging them as circuit training, but I'm wondering if that's the best category.

Thanks!