Notices

Pace setting/monitoring device?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Pace setting/monitoring device?

Anyone know of a device that can monitor one's walking/running pace? I suppose "there's an app for that" but I've yet to obtain a smart phone.

I'm trying to keep my jogging pace up and more-or-less steady but all I really have to go on now is my total elapsed time.

I'd like a device that I could set at, say 5 mph and it would beep if I went under that (and possibly over as well).

Thanks for any ideas!

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-11-2011, 02:40 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know of a device that does that, but I'm not up on all the techno stuff out there. I put music on my MP3 player with specific bpm, there are numerous websites that have that sort of info. So I use the albums we have here and find songs that are 140-150 bpm, for the elliptical and a little bit slower for walking. You might look in to using a pedometer, one specifically for running, they don't usually beep, but you can check it while you run. Or you could use mapmyrun.com and check your watch to know how many minutes you have to get to each landmark. If you run the same routes all the time that should be easy enough.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I don't know of a device that does that, but I'm not up on all the techno stuff out there. I put music on my MP3 player with specific bpm, there are numerous websites that have that sort of info. So I use the albums we have here and find songs that are 140-150 bpm, for the elliptical and a little bit slower for walking. You might look in to using a pedometer, one specifically for running, they don't usually beep, but you can check it while you run. Or you could use mapmyrun.com and check your watch to know how many minutes you have to get to each landmark. If you run the same routes all the time that should be easy enough.
Good ideas! I do use mapmyrun and know about where my half-way point is. I find I tend to go faster the first mile (not unexpected I guess, as I start to get tired on mile two). I suppose I could also use my GPS as it gives SOG--just trying to find a solution that I don't have to look at (I'd probably fall down ).

Now perhaps I'm off-base about even trying to keep a steady pace--does it really matter? I try to keep my breathing about the same--heavy but not "out of breath" throughout the run. I do find I have to breath more heavily (and/or slow down) during the uphill parts of the route.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Garmin Forerunners

If you have some dollars to spend I really recommend the Garmin Forerunner series. There are several verisons. I just replaced my venerable old 201 with a 305. The 305 has a heart monitor which I use periodically.

You can program the Forerunners to do almost everything but do the walk by themselves. There is one mode that allows you to program a competitor and will show you whether you are ahead or behind. You can get all kinds of pace info and you definitely can get it to beep at you when you are going too slow or too fast.

They are designed to download all of your data to your computer so you can keep a log of your progress quite accurately and efficiently

The downside is they are pretty pricey - a couple hundred. But there are deals to be found if you look around. And since I had my original 201 for over 5 years, they are built to last.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:51 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
If you have some dollars to spend I really recommend the Garmin Forerunner series. There are several verisons. I just replaced my venerable old 201 with a 305. The 305 has a heart monitor which I use periodically.

You can program the Forerunners to do almost everything but do the walk by themselves. There is one mode that allows you to program a competitor and will show you whether you are ahead or behind. You can get all kinds of pace info and you definitely can get it to beep at you when you are going too slow or too fast.

They are designed to download all of your data to your computer so you can keep a log of your progress quite accurately and efficiently

The downside is they are pretty pricey - a couple hundred. But there are deals to be found if you look around. And since I had my original 201 for over 5 years, they are built to last.
Pam, that sound like what I want--I'll look into it--thanks!

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

I have an idea... get your wife involved. Put her on a bike with a speedometer and have her cruise and a certain speed and just run along side of her. When you get tired, switch spots.