Notices

Do you eat before or after?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Do you eat before or after?

The way my schedule works, I work out on my hubby's work days and sleep in on his days off (mon & tues). So I get up at 4am and get his lunch ready and send him off to work. Once he leaves I do my weight training followed by 12oz of water then I do my other workout. Get ready for work and leave. So from the time I get up, workout and actually eat my breakfast (usually fat free yogurt and a banana) is about 3-1/2 hrs.

Is this wrong or should I try to eat something before working out? I see so many different opinions on this and wanted to get some from you guys.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 AM
FitDay Member

Generally "they" say it's a good idea to eat shortly after (as in within 30min-2hrs) your workout in order to replenish glycogen via some relatively carb-heavy food with a good amount of protein, in order to take advantage of the time right after a workout when your body will process carbs faster than usual. Just some fun facts.

Oh, and to answer your question, I typically eat after a workout - I'll only eat shortly before if I'm really *really* hungry, which isn't often. But IMHO, for all the "experts" and everything else, we all know our bodies better than anyone - so even if someone does prefer eating before and not after, I don't think it's the end of the world by any stretch.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I usually have half a banana first thing in the morning and get in my workout within the hour, then have yogurt/grapenuts afterwards. Not every day is the same due to hubby being home or not..such is life! Lol
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

Google 'anabolic window'.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:37 AM
FitDay Member

When I was lifting weights, I was told eat some carbs before (ie small bowl of oatmeal) and protein after (ie 1 egg, 2 egg whites.) The conventional wisdom then, as now, was varied but I heard cardio workouts on an empty stomach to burn more and eat something before anaerobic exercise (weights) to lift more.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:39 PM
FitDay Member

Default Eating Before or After Working Out

I'm up 4:45, have my coffee, get my husband off to work as well. Once he leaves my sneakers go on and I'm moving. It's good when school is out. I, too, do not have anything other than water - until at least 3-1/2 hrs. after. Maybe even longer. For me, it works. I can't eat in the morning. I never could. When I do eat its fruit or yogurt. That's good for me until dinner time. So there you go. Doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me. We all have our own style. So I say, yes - you're style is fine....
Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the opinions everyone! Glad to see at least one other person who does it basically like I do. I am going with - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At least for now.