Notices

Shoes for overpronators

Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default Shoes for overpronators

I have flat feet and severely overpronate. I currently wear the Brooks Ariel (womens version of the Beast). My only complaint is that the shoe is very heavy. I feel like it gives good support to my poor arch. Has anyone tried the saucony progrid stability shoe? or can recommend another brand/model. thanks.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey TL,
Have you tried going to the Road Runners website and using their search feature (shoe dog I think they call it)? I know you are looking for a specific recommendation from other folks experiences, but you might start with a list of potential candidates and compare it with what other folks recommend.

I can't say that I have any recommendations as I have the complete opposite foot issues. But I can say getting the right shoes can make all the difference in the world!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

I would go to a specialty running store. They can suggest what other options in shoes you can get. The shoes might be expensive, but if you like them, you can buy them online next time.

With the whole barefoot running thing, there is an opinion that the whole idea that pronation must be corrected was created by the shoe industry to get people to buy shoes. And, when you keep the foot from moving as it wants to injuries increase. If you wear a shoe that does not correct for pronation, do you hurt?

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

I had been running in Rykas, very light, very comfortable.

I just went for my first "professional" fitting Friday. I apparently pronate and they put me in Brooks Adrenaline (after trying on several). The first thing I noticed was that it was slightly heavier than my old ones, but when I ran yesterday, I noticed I surely didn't fatigue as quickly and had no aches and pains afterward. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 PM
FitDay Member

I wear Brooks too. Mine aren't heavy at all. Like rmdaly suggested I went to a running store where they studied and measured my feet. They are seriously the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I had been running in Rykas, very light, very comfortable.

I just went for my first "professional" fitting Friday. I apparently pronate and they put me in Brooks Adrenaline (after trying on several). The first thing I noticed was that it was slightly heavier than my old ones, but when I ran yesterday, I noticed I surely didn't fatigue as quickly and had no aches and pains afterward. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.

How are your Brooks holding up? They have great reviews. I just went to the store, my old Asics finally fell apart (literally LOL). Always have worn Asics, nothing else, but when I tried on a pair of the Adrenaline's (GTS 11) it felt awesome. Went home, read the reviews, went back to the store and got 'em. It's really rainy today but I'll be running them real soon.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,
I can recommend Asic Gels - and they have lots of models. Go to a running shop and run on a treadmill while they film you, that way you will get a pair to suit your needs. If it is a good shop like The Sweat Shop you get to try them for 60 days and if they are not good they let you return them for a full refund.

Wbr Alexis
Old 10-02-2011, 01:43 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Funny this should come up again

I have pretty easy feet... normal archs, easy stride, but serious bunions, which requires a wide toe box/narrow heel. Over the years I have done pretty well with Road Runners, but decided to take the time and $$ to go to a specialty store. We don't have a running store locally, but there is one about 30 miles away. So I am planning to check in and check it out on Tuesday. I'll let y'all know what I find.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
FitDay Member

Default My two cents

I also severely overpronate although I have high arches and stiff feet. I've read about going barefoot or using barefoot shoes and I'm intrigued. What I am certain will help both of us, though, is foot exercises: picking up marbles & pencils, rising onto balls of feet and using resistance bands to exercise the muscles attached to the posterior tibial tendon. There's some info here: Posterior tibial tendonitis exercises
Take good care of your hips too- iliopsoas and general alignment.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Hey TL,
Have you tried going to the Road Runners website and using their search feature (shoe dog I think they call it)? I know you are looking for a specific recommendation from other folks experiences, but you might start with a list of potential candidates and compare it with what other folks recommend.

I can't say that I have any recommendations as I have the complete opposite foot issues. But I can say getting the right shoes can make all the difference in the world!
That's a great site!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.