Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
How do I do tape measure measurements? >

How do I do tape measure measurements?

Community
Notices

How do I do tape measure measurements?

Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Question How do I do tape measure measurements?

I can put a tape measure around my waist at different points, and get widely different numbers. If I make it cross my belly button, which isn't my fattest part,
do I suck in, and pull it tight saying "this is as small as it can be today, it will be smaller when I am?"

Or do I take a deep breath, and hold the tape at a normal tension?

Or does it matter, as long as you are consistent?

Thanks!

Abby

Last edited by dear_abby; 05-12-2011 at 03:05 AM. Reason: spelling (on my own name!)
Old 05-12-2011, 02:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default It is all about the consistency...

IMO.
Some say that the belly button measurement is best in terms of an over all health measurement. It is a better gage of "belly fat" or visceral fat in your abdominal cavity. But since you are about as motivated a "loser" as there ever has been, pick a place and just stick with it.

BTW many folks have noted that the waist is about the last place they notice changes, so don't forget to measure other areas too.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for your kind words Pam, but I see a lot more dedicated losers posting here !

I'll grab a few points and make a chart.

Abby
Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

I don't really HAVE a waist (never have). My waist measurement is roughly an inch less than the hip measurement. And since we all lose in different areas, I find it makes sense to take multiple measurements: hips, thighs, upper arm, chest, etc. I'm losing LOTS of inches everywhere EXCEPT at the waist. No big deal. I think you just have to be consistent and not invest too much energy in worrying about inches lost in one area. Taking thigh measurements may actually be more motivating than anything.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

I do double measurements of my waist, One at normal tension and one as tight as I can make it. I figure that helps wipe out the changes in how I measure from month to month. For chest I measure as you would for bra size and cup size. I find the bra size measurement more accurate and tells me I'm losing that backfat I want to get rid of. How your clothes fit is the best measurement. Mary
Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

Check this site out for guidelines:
Weight Loss Program - Articles - How to Weigh and Measure Your Body