Notices

Eating before running

Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default Eating before running

Would you consider 2 eggs on toast a 'moderate' or 'light' meal? How long would you wait after that to go for a 30 minute run?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 AM
FitDay Member

According to runner world, you can eat 15 minutes before a run.
I can eat half cup of rice, some protein and vegi, and just run right away. But my sister in law can't do that she will feel sick in her stomach. Maybe you have to do trial and error to find out what work for you.
Good luck,
Mai
Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for replying, Mai! And, lucky you

I waited about 45 mins after that meal and it wasn't bad but wasn't great - felt a bit heavy and got a stitch. Today I tried just having toast first, waited 30 mins, and it was fine. Day after tomorrow I'll try on an empty stomach first thing (after coffee) and see how I go...

Elsewhere I've read that people wait 1.5 - 2 hours. That kind of scheduling would drive me bananas. At the same time going on a completely empty stomach seemed horrific - I often wake at least a little hungry, and loooove my eggs (but often wait about 45 mins before making brekkie). Will see what happens tomorrow!

Last edited by pinenutcasserole; 05-09-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I would hold off on the eggs until after the run, when your body could really use the protein boost for repair and rebuilding. It is usually a good idea to have something in the tummy, but for a 30 minute run, 100 to 200 calories of simple and complex carbs should be enough to see you through.

Everyone is different, but I really do not like running on even a moderately full tummy. Sometimes coffee with a heaping teaspoon of honey is all I need. And then I use the eggs and toast as the incentive for running back home faster .
Old 05-10-2011, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Before I work out I usually grab a small banana, an orange or a single piece of toast. After the workout is over I throw down some protein, tuna, Greek yogurt, eggs, or a protein shake/bar. I cannot eat eggs, apples or yogurt before a workout, they tend to come back up on me.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 PM
FitDay Member

As has been posted before it's all about trial and error. I make sure to wait 2 to 3 hours before a run, because running with a full stomach just makes me sick and completely ruins the run for me. Also, I'm not good with fatty foods before runs, so I try to eat fairly light (oatmeal is great or bit of pasta with a very simple tomatoe sauce). Although I'm never hungry after a run I try to eat or at least drink some protein to fuel my muscles. Best of luck!!!

Molly
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM
FitDay Member

For me, it depends on the run. I get up most mornings and just go without eating anything, but only for ~30-40 minutes. When I go on longer runs, I have some oatmeal and it's just right for me. Mai's right - it's pretty much trial and error!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM
FitDay Member

I keep a supply of the 100-calorie chewy granola bars at home and I will eat them right before a run. It takes the edge off the hunger, but doesn't make me feel like I have too much in my stomach.

Sometimes, I only need my coffee with milk before a run.

Keep working on it and make sure that the calories fit into your calorie budget.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
FitDay Member

I have been running for several years and I used to always make sure to have a banana or the like before going out to run (I am an early AM runner). In the past several months, I've stopped eating before going out unless I expect to be out there more than an hour and a half or so.

As others have already said, this will vary from person to person, but I believe that generally a small amount of carbs will be tolerated better than fat/protein, and as you get more miles under your belt, things may change. YMMV, of course.

Best wishes!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

You want to give the food some time to digest, so 15 minutes isn't optimum. Eggs aren't the greatest because of the fat content slowing digestion of the carbs. Try for protien and carbs before exercising of any kind. Fasted training of any kind is not reccomended either.