Exercise Routine Help!!!! >

Exercise Routine Help!!!!

Community
Notices

Exercise Routine Help!!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default Exercise Routine Help!!!!

I'm a 6' 200lb man who has hit a plateau recently. I started at 215 a few months back but I can't seem to get down past the 200 mark. I consume between 1600 and 1800 calories a day, a majority of which is protein. I did change up my workout routine some which is where my question comes in.

My old work out was nothing but isolation lifts, whereas my new routine is a circuit of compound lifts. Does anyone know if I am burning less by doing compound lifts rather than isolation? My aerobic workouts have not changed but I'm getting EXTREMELY frustrated with not being able to lose anything. Any tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM
FitDay Member

You're probably burning more with the compound exercises, but I guess you might make more muscle gains if you lifted heavier in isolation.

Does your cardio include intervals? What's your diet like, apart from being high-protein?

T NATION | Hierarchy of Fat Loss
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM
FitDay Member

One of the best and the fastest way to loose weight and get your body in a tone is aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercises are best for weight loss and weight maintenance. You can burn many more calories in a span of time doing aerobic exercise than you can doing strength training exercises. You must keep this in your daily routine.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

I think for a 200lb man you should raise your caloric intake. If you don't eat enough your metabolism slows down. You should also eat 5 or 6 meals a day which keeps your metabolism up.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi sryder27,
Most of us hit a plateau sooner or later. It looks like you are doing all the right things to break it, but it will take some patience and perserverence - whatever you do don't give up

Originally Posted by TrainersRoom
One of the best and the fastest way to loose weight and get your body in a tone is aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercises are best for weight loss and weight maintenance. You can burn many more calories in a span of time doing aerobic exercise than you can doing strength training exercises. You must keep this in your daily routine.
I totally agree. Weight training is great and can really help rev up the metabolism. But sustained aerobic activity is what really burns the calories.

Originally Posted by trishp01
I think for a 200lb man you should raise your caloric intake. If you don't eat enough your metabolism slows down. You should also eat 5 or 6 meals a day which keeps your metabolism up.
Trish, I think you are basically right. However, the grazing all day long vs. 3 squares is mostly a personal preference. Some folks do really well with multiple small meals through out the day, some of us (that would be me) don't because it can be difficult to keep the calories in check and manage the nutrients.

sryder27, you may want to try upping your calorie to your maintence level for a week or 2 - that often helps. Just make sure that you get right back to restricted diet as soon as you reach the 2nd week.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Trish. Perhaps keep your caloric intake more around the 1800+ cal/day mark. Also cut down on the protein, maybe try a 50/30/20 carb/fat/protein ratio.