Couch to 5K ~ Anyone doing it? >

Couch to 5K ~ Anyone doing it?

Community
Notices

Couch to 5K ~ Anyone doing it?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
A quick question--when we say "running", what speed are we talking about to start?
I can only speak for myself. I imagine it all depends on a persons condition when they start. For me, I'm 49 years old and I smoked for 28 years, had a desk job for 6 of the last 12 years and had done nothing for the past 5 years. When I started I was about as bad as it gets. I also tend to use the word running interchangeably with jogging.

When I first started C25K I was jogging at a pace of 12 minutes per mile or 5 miles per hour. I suspect there some people that can speed walk at that pace. Whn I walk I go at 4 miles per hour. Today, I jog at a pace of 6 miles an hour or so. Once I get back up to running a full 5K I will then start to work on the pace.

I can say, at this stage of my conditioning, my lungs and breathing are no longer an issue. It's my legs (muscles and joints) that give out first.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone. As far as speed and running vs. jogging I think you should consider if you are using a treadmill that not all treadmills are created equal. I never realized this until I went from the one I had at home to one at my Dad's house. 3.5 MPH on mine felt like 3.0 MPH (or less) on his. Weird...Anyway I think a good way to determine a speed that works for you whether using a treadmill or jogging/running outside is to incorporate a heart rate monitor. That way you can determine what speed is challenging but not too difficult for your personal fitness level.

Btw, I was waiting to start my C25K until an injury I had healed. I feel like I am almost there and can't wait to start!! I think I will give it a go on Sunday.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Michael,

Can't help you define jogging v. running. But my tack is to take as long as it takes, and go as slowly as I have to, to get to 30 mins... It's seriously not worth the injuries to rush! Speaking from experience... I'm happy for my lower leg mechanisms to gently acclimate to this kind of pressure. Been SUPER careful - have stayed at week 3 for three weeks! And may slip back further: did my first run outdoors in a while yesterday. After the first running round, I knew to go right back to week 1 - still, my calves are wicked sore today. Good thing: no joint pain this time! Will be slowly moving my runs outdoors, 1 run per week. (Hate missing out on the miserly amounts of sun we've been getting!) So may start all over again. Fine!

OP: If 90 seconds scares you, there's no shame in doing 60 for another week, or until those 60 seconds are a breeze (breezes?).

Legs: Am finding totally unanticipated definition along lower thighs and calves. Saddlebags and top inner thighs still resisting though.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Well, it was almost 70 in Maine today and after my couple 10ths of a mile warm up I jogged the entire rest of my two miles. Now I won't say I jogged at the same speed for the second mile, but jogging I was!

51 weeks ago, I literally could not walk more that 50 feet w/o stopping to catch my breath (and sometimes having trouble doing it). It's amazing what the body can do to heal itself if you give it half a chance!

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats, Michael!

I have short legs. So I start jogging when I hit about 4.5 miles per hour. However, that's on the treadmill. When I pace myself outside, I usually run at a 10 minute mile...but I walk at a 12 minute mile.

The other day my hubby (who has recently been exercising) went for a walk and I accompanied him. I wanted more of a calorie burn, so I jogged very slowly...but it was still a jog. We were probably at about 4 miles per hour.

I consider it jogging or running as long as both feet are off the ground at any one brief period of time, no matter what the speed.

Unless you're the Six Million Dollar Man, running in slow motion to that clicking music...that's not very fast .
Old 04-28-2011, 05:20 PM
FitDay Member

That is an incredible achievement, Michael - congratulations!

(I'm trying to keep my plantar fascia happy, is all - hopefully I'll be able to run alongside you soon )
Old 05-11-2011, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

I am very interested in starting this. I have never run an inch in my life but I would love to change that!

One thing--I am pretty uncoordinated. Is this going to be a problem? Does anyone know of any exercises that help improve balance and coordination?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it's a worry at all. I'd never run either (played sick to stay home from phys ed during track and field), but I did it. Running is a pretty natural motion; just don't overthink it. And make sure you have a good pair of shoes to support you. Enjoy it!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 PM
FitDay Member

Default running or jogging

Hi,

I am going to start this program on Monday. I was running/jogging almost 2 miles at the end of the summer last year. I think that as long as you are not walking, you are jogging. Running is a faster pace that comes after this program. Based on the site I was looking at, jogging is all that is required for this program. In the end, you are jogging a 5K in 30 minutes flat. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default what come's After Couch to 5K?

I just started to do this exercise and was curious what you guys think which exercise program would come after this one. I really like how this one is set up and think that I will be able to do it! I am writing my long-term goals down and would like to see a little more into the future. Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.