Notices

Couch to 5K ~ Anyone doing it?

Old 04-22-2011, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by littlemonkey402
You mentioned the couch to 5k and at first i was like "you do that. im not" but I looked it up and im starting it on tuesday! Very excited, but you said it was HARD. Am I going to die on tuesday? lol.

Lastri's response it what sold me on the program. I'm glad you (lastri) love running soo much or I may not be doin it!
Hi Little Monkey, I didn't do the program by that name, but it's pretty similar to my running history - I never thought I'd enjoy moving, and now, a run makes my day good. It's amazing once you get into it, go for it!

Abby
Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 AM
FitDay Member

I did Couch to 5K late last year. I had already been walking for a couple months but I really couldn't jog more than a city block or two. Couch to 5K got me to jogging 3 miles by the 5th week. The really cold days of winter set in and I stopped before reaching the end of the program. I'm re-starting it this week.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, I tried to start jogging/running on my own with a HR monitor to decide when to walk then jog/run. I found I advanced my time too fast and have some pain now in both legs. It's hard to describe. I am not giving up just yet though. I am starting back up walking while I wait until I am 100% and then plan to try the C25K. One thing I read about this program is that you should not advance faster than what the program dictates even if you feel ready. I think I will follow this advice this time around as my ambition is what side lined me in the first place. I HOPE to start next week.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Quick question - has anyone found this program to accelerate their weight loss? I have read about a few people either not losing or even gaining weight. I suspect the water retention in the muscles might cause some weight gain. Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know that it "accelerated" weight loss, but once I added running into the mix, my legs toned up a lot more quickly, in ways they never had before. I did not notice a gain.

Take it easy, listen to your body, and enjoy!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Cassie. Natually the next question probably everyone has is do you remember how long it took until you started to notice changes?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

I don't remember; sorry. It's been a year since I've done it. My guess would be once you start getting into the part where the running outweighs the walking, though.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 AM
FitDay Member

Wow...didn't expect to come back in here and see so many replies.

I am starting Week 2, Run 1 today. I'm nervous. I had some family issues last week that kept me from hitting the gym, so it took me a few extra days to finish Week 1. I should have started Week 2 Monday, but I'm doing it today. I'm nervous. I finally got to the point where I could handle - although hard - the 60 seconds of running. Now I have to do 90. Ack. I'm gonna push through though. BUT if I feel like I really honestly can't do 90 seconds, I'll do Week 1 again.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SmileyAmy
I finally got to the point where I could handle - although hard - the 60 seconds of running. Now I have to do 90. Ack. I'm gonna push through though. BUT if I feel like I really honestly can't do 90 seconds, I'll do Week 1 again.
I can remember trying to make it through those first weeks. I thought running for 90 seconds and beyond would kill me. I was running through my neighborhood and I would use mailboxes as goal posts, thinking if I couldn't last the 90 seconds or whatever I was going for then I could just shoot for the next mailbox or two. I thought to myself "just get to that next mailbox", and when I would make it to that mailbox I would push on to the next one if I could. Pretty soon I was running past miles of mailboxes.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

A quick question--when we say "running", what speed are we talking about to start? I can do my first mile at a "jog", then alternate walk and "jog" the remaining mile for a total time of around 27 minutes for the two miles. Is this really "running"?

Thanks for any feedback!

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.