WOW Patti, what an amazing job! Kudos!
I've got wicked saddlebags, and am also dealing with a bit of leftover extra lower bum, after reaching my first weight goal.
Don't know if you have access to a gym... I've been on a free trial membership, which is amazing as it provides lots of cardio options. I've just this week added the rowing machine into my cardio mix, and while I can't comment on results yet, I can seriously feel my glutes work in my mere ten mins on that machine. (I do other cardio - running & swimming, in the same session, but am trying to avoid overuse problems.)
Michele Olson seems to be a kind of specialist on pear shapes. She reckons that if you really want to mitigate peariness, it takes a lot of work... i.e.:
- being really
good with nutrition
- doing at least 45 mins of cardio 4-5 x a week, with most of those sessions consisting of interval training (at a level 7/8 for intense bits, and 5 for recovery sections)
- low weight, HIGH rep strength training for legs/glutes 3-4 x a week. (She does a DVD
, which I'll probably order.) But basically, tons of squats, lunges, and variations thereof.
the article I summarized above.
My repertoire of glute/butt exercises - picked from here and there, including Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones; Self magazine; Women's Health Magazine
, Alwyn Cosgrove
- Donkey kicks
- Fire hydrant
- Co-contraction lunge
- Split squat
- Single leg bridge
- Something i call arabesques (can't remember what they're actually called): you stand on one leg, lean forward so you're perpendicular to the ground, raise your other leg so it's also perpendicular to the ground. You look like a T, now. Slowly bend your standing leg, then come back up. (25 reps per set)
- LOTS of leg kicks - I do 25 reps per set, front, back, side, roundhouse.
(I have these in a word doc, just pasted them here)
Butt workout from Self.com
One of the bonus exercises is great. (Basically, deep plies from a wide 4th position)
Ballet leg workout from Self.com
"Skinny jeans" workout from Women's Health Mag
Butt w/ plyo workout from Women's Health Mag
Oh yeah have heard about the clam
and the pretzel
- will incorporate those in a few weeks.