Notices

Swimming bad for fat loss - discuss!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
FitDay Member

Excellent, excellent arguments and tips, all! Thanks! Agree with everything. Sorry for having abandoned this thread - couldn't get into the forum for a while, so I just gave up.

Have taken to a banana protein shake after a swim, which keeps me out of trouble.

A tip I'm able to offer, which is unrelated to fat loss, but relevant to myopic would-be swimmers who might be reading this thread.

These are the options for swimming in a straight line and not hitting anyone. 1) Prescription goggles. In my area, there's no off-the-shelf, cheap option - they cost about $80 - but apparently Amazon has versions in the 20-buck range for Americans. They only go in .5 increments, though. If your eyes are different scripts, you can buy 2 pairs and swap one lens from each. 2) Wear contacts under really good goggles. The catch (recently learned the hard way) - your face shape can mean you won't get a tight seal. Was told this by a lifeguard when my right eye got a squirt of chlorine. He said to spend ages trying on different pairs to see, and that the most expensive aren't nec. the best. Not found any yet to fit my own apparently weird face. 3) (experimental) I'm going to try wearing scuba goggles over contacts or glasses, if they're cheaper than prescription swim goggles. Open to more ideas!

(Sorry for diverging with this, but it's why I didn't swim for years and years! Just thought there might be other blind/joint-careful people like me out there, who are looking for reasons to stay out of the pool... which is a shame, because swimming is awesome.)

Last edited by pinenutcasserole; 04-11-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
FitDay Member

hi,

There is no doubt that swimming is good exercise, and you can burn about 500 calories per hour when you swim, but is swimming a good exercise choice if your primary goal is to lose body weight or SPAM

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 04-23-2011 at 02:03 PM.