Community
Notices

help!!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
FitDay Member

K1die--you are so funny about the "horseback ride"!

At the risk of too much advice, I would suggest a magazine subscription. One of my favorites is "Oxygen" but they feature lots of competitive bodybuilding women, and that can be intimidating. But "RX Fitness" is another great one. On a lower key scale, try "Shape" or "Women's Health." Just go to Barnes and Noble (if you have one) and flip through all the fitness magazines. Not long ago they featured two total body workouts--one for the gym and another comparable one for home.

Also, if pushups are too hard right now, you can do them on the stairs. As you get better, just go to a lower stair. Planks are really good, too.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sandi olson
K1die--you are so funny about the "horseback ride"!

At the risk of too much advice, I would suggest a magazine subscription. One of my favorites is "Oxygen" but they feature lots of competitive bodybuilding women, and that can be intimidating. But "RX Fitness" is another great one. On a lower key scale, try "Shape" or "Women's Health." Just go to Barnes and Noble (if you have one) and flip through all the fitness magazines. Not long ago they featured two total body workouts--one for the gym and another comparable one for home.

Also, if pushups are too hard right now, you can do them on the stairs. As you get better, just go to a lower stair. Planks are really good, too.

Good luck!
My personal favorite is Muscle & Fitness Hers. They may be competitive builders, but they have lots of great moves and recipes!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

K1die -- you sound like me, I'm a beginner on the strength-training exercises

If you're working out at home, you could also consider getting a DVD to help you. I like DVDs because the trainers will show you the RIGHT way to do exercises, and seeing the example helps me a lot to keep proper form. I don't usually do total strength-training (I like to mix it with cardio) but a lot of people recommend 30-Day Shred with Jillian Michaels, or Bob Harper's DVDs. 30-Day Shred is only a 20 minute workout, but I sweat buckets doing it, and Jillian kicks my butt every time. There are lunges, different types of ab workouts, etc. mixed with strengthening your arms.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

I found yersterday a good DVD program with tae bo (Billy Blanks), i don't have a particulary interest in tae bo but his "basic exercise" made me "feel the burn" . I like it because it doesn't use weights and i want to slim down my legs(thigh, leg, angle) as much as i can even if i have to forfeit some muscle. I don't know why but in relation with my whole body the face and arms are overly slim and the legs are way too thick.

L.E.: Any exercise that thins the leg is welcome here

Last edited by k1die; 02-22-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
FitDay Member

If you're primarily interested in exercise for weight LOSS, you can't go wrong with walking! It's inexpensive, it drops the pounds, it tones your body, and you can do it in public without explaining to people what you're doing! The pushups and situps and squats will build muscle, but to lose weight, you need to be doing some aerobic stuff. So put on your sneakers and go for a walk every day. I lost 30 lb. doing this, and modifying my diet to eliminate the junk food. It's pretty simple. You don't have to be in shape to do it, either. Walk long enough and fast enough to increase your heart rate and breathing, and just build it into your daily routine. As your body gets used to the distance and the pace, rev it up a little more. It's easier on the joints than running or jogging, too.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Sorry but i really cant do that . Patience is a virtue... but that force is not strong in this one, i`d rather do 10 minutes 100% effort than an hour 10 % effort :P