Do you sneak in extra exercise? >

Do you sneak in extra exercise?

Community
Notices

Do you sneak in extra exercise?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default Do you sneak in extra exercise?

Do you sneak in extra exercise? Like for example parking far away from a store so that you get in a few extra steps? If so what do you do?

I add extra tricep, wall pushups dips & walking lunges. so when i'm in the washroom i do 5 tricep dips off the counter & 5 wall pushups. plus i have hallways at work & home that i will do walking lunges down & back every time i go there. lucky at work as this is a hall that no one else uses the extra tricep dips & pushups in just two weeks i can notice how much more toned they are.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 AM
FitDay Member

Yes!! And this is so unlike me.

If I'm standing in a line, I flex my legs & squeeze my bottom. If I'm sitting I lift my legs or do like a sitting crunch. I park further away from doors.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Oh, absolutely! I park on the far end of the lot if I can. I move around at work as much as possible and always volunteer to pick up or deliver something in one of our other buildings. I'll generally walk the trash down the driveway instead of driving it and things like that. Every little bit of extra movement helps burn those calories.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

I've definitely been parking further away in the parking lots recently. Also, at the grocery store, I'll park far away, and then return my cart ALL the way down at the other end at the cart drop-off spot instead of just leaving it next to the car. I feel like I'm being a good Samaritan and getting in those few calories burned!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I definitely try to, although it sounds like you are much luckier than I am Stacey to be able to do those things while at work! I would definitely get some funny looks around here, it seems no space in my building has gone unused....some of us have even doubled up at the desks...ha ha!

I have been trying to remind myself to get up at least once an hour and go for a quick little walk, even if it is just for a few minutes.

I also do some seated straight leg lifts at my chair (just extend my leg straight out under my desk and lift a few inches) - these were recommended by my physical therapist for my knee, but I count them as a little exercise!

Whenever I can I try to get a little something in
Old 02-18-2011, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Jennybeeb
I definitely try to, although it sounds like you are much luckier than I am Stacey to be able to do those things while at work! I would definitely get some funny looks around here, it seems no space in my building has gone unused....some of us have even doubled up at the desks...ha ha!

I have been trying to remind myself to get up at least once an hour and go for a quick little walk, even if it is just for a few minutes.

I also do some seated straight leg lifts at my chair (just extend my leg straight out under my desk and lift a few inches) - these were recommended by my physical therapist for my knee, but I count them as a little exercise!

Whenever I can I try to get a little something in
i am lucky we have a training lab & a lounge in the basement of our building that is rarely used. plus to washrooms sooo i go down there to use the restroom & do walking lunges down the hall. so far so good. but it all adds up right?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

all the time. I park far away, take stairs, when standing in line I do calf raises.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 PM
FitDay Member

Smile I love this thread

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
all the time. I park far away, take stairs, when standing in line I do calf raises.
Hey I love this thread...since I have gotten the motivation and energy to exercise (only since second week of January 2011), I am doing more and more all the time. I don't make excuses for not getting workouts in, and most of the time I am randomly doing squats (usually end up doing 20 to 30 by the end of the day, not as part of a workout).

I also recently got my "Ball" (I use mine mainly for Pilates type and core exercises) out and love to randomly do ball exercises; this is so cool for strengthening your abs, and lately been doing lots of hip and glutes stuff too.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
FitDay Member

Sure do!

Every night before I go to sleep, I lay in bed and read a few chapters of whatever book I'm reading. It is at this time I will sneak in about half an hour or so of leg exercises. I don't count them, just work until exhaustion, different exercises each night, and then turn to my other side and do it again. If I'm enjoying my book and don't want to turn the light out, I'll turn onto my back and do some, too. Every night. Of course, some exercises are difficult, being on a nice, soft mattress, but I'm thinking that's where core stability comes into it, which is just a bonus. I did this last time I lost weight, doing lots of pilates-style inner-leg exercises and in only about 6 weeks, my thighs no longer touched when walking. And of course, I have to keep my body still so I don't disturb my sleeping partner, which again brings in core stability and muscle focus.

That's aside from parking away from the shops, parking at the other end of the shopping centre, stairs instead of elevator, walk instead of drive when possible, squat instead of bend over to put things into and get things out of cupboards and so on.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Banned

I park further away, if the weather is good...

I also try to take the stairs at work as well