Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Any Suggestions for Strengthening Wrists? >

Any Suggestions for Strengthening Wrists?

Community
Notices

Any Suggestions for Strengthening Wrists?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

Wrist roll-ups. Get a wooden dowel 1" to 1-1/2" in diameter and 12" long. Attach a piece of rope (3'?)to the middle of the dowel. Attach a weight to the end of the rope.

Using an overhand grip roll the weight up to the dowel then back to the floor, repeat. Do the same using an underhand grip. These will definetly strengthen your wrists and foreams.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by behaze
Awesome. Thanks, guys.

I do have dumbbells, so I'll give those exercises a go today - thanks, spearfisher. I don't think I've skipped rope, almeeker, since primary school! It'll be nice to revisit my childhood.
Um, I didn't say "skip rope" I said "pretend" to skip rope LOL. I hadn't done it in ages either, until last summer when my girls asked me to teach them double dutch. It was a HUGE wake-up call on just how out of shape I'd gotten over the years, because back in the day I could jump rope for hours on end, double dutch included. That day I entered it in to my activities and LOW AND BEHOLD THAT'S A GOOD WORKOUT, burns cals like mad!!! So now I pretend to jump for a little bit pretty much every morning. Recently I added in the hand weights because it's on one of the better DVD's I bought and I could feel a good burn from it. And like I said, I felt it in my wrists first. I don't have particularly weak wrists, but I do have a touch of CT, so I'm always looking to keep my hands and wrists moving in different ways.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
FitDay Member

rpmcduff wrote "Wrist roll-ups. Get a wooden dowel 1" to 1-1/2" in diameter and 12" long. Attach a piece of rope (3'?)to the middle of the dowel. Attach a weight to the end of the rope.

Using an overhand grip roll the weight up to the dowel then back to the floor, repeat. Do the same using an underhand grip. These will definetly strengthen your wrists and foreams." I second this. Another thing you can do is get a shovel, sledge hammer or any thing like it and hold it at a point that you can manage along the handle, hold it out in front of you and rotate it from left to right and front to back.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:38 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks again, guys. I've been doing a little bit of everything each day for the last couple of weeks and I can tell the difference. I can now do ten regular floor push ups with no or very little pain. I felt like I was really cheating doing them against the wall! And now I have muscles in my forearms. Woo!

I'm about to start p90x, which I know has a lot of wrist work in it. Do the push up bar things really help? Has anyone used them? If you're not sure what I'm talking about (I don't know what they're actually called), it's basically a bar around which you wrap your hand, and the bar has four little 'feet', one bar for each hand.

WMLARDIERI, I might need to find myself some of those gloves when I start this program, just in case. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM
FitDay Member

I've found push-up bars to be useful. They take the pressure off your wrists in the same way knuckle push-ups do, but you don't have the additional pain!

Word of warning though... don't buy cheap ones. They need to be solid and very non-slip, and the cheapy ones I bought were not.

You could try the more expensive bars that actually rotate as you go through the motion to keep your arms and wrists lined up. I've only used them once or twice but they felt really good.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 PM
FitDay Member

I'm glad I read your post before I went equipment shopping this morning, Geoffers! I ended up getting the rotating push up bars (uh-huh, they're not cheap, but probably well worth it in the end - I'm thinking of it as using a small portion of what I would have spent on alcohol over the next 90 days) and, of course, when I got them home I had to try them out. You're right! It feels really comfortable and I got to 15 push-ups with no pain in my wrists.