Notices

Any runners out there?

Old 01-24-2010, 03:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default That reminds me...

Some of us are condemned to the concrete jungle, especially when it's 10 degrees F out and snowy roads. But, it made me think of some other good advice folks may not know: get 2 pairs of shoes and switch between them...gives the footbed a chance to decompress and your shoes will last way longer!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

hi hitzan! glad you like running trails, and i do it occasionally too, especially when the wildflowers bloom... it's beautiful! but after 31 years of mostly road and treadmill running, i have to say that it's done fine by me! there is a lot of variety among runners, no doubt about that.

i do alternate between two pairs archy... mostly for convenience though. i keep one at my office locker room for lunch runs, and another at home. my asics seem to fail (like clockwork) at about 400 miles though, whether i'm running one or two pair. but knowing when your shoes need to be replaced is a key thing for all runners... when they feel flat and unresponsive, it's a good time to start looking for another pair of shoes. keeping your shoes fitting well may help you avoid injuries down the road.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default Speaking of shoes

I have been running for over 20 years and added cycling about five years ago. I will train for a running event and use cycling as cross training and use running as cross training for a cycling event. That plus some weight training keeps me balanced. Of course, I run and ride just for fun and to stay in shape too.

I was wondering if anyone has read Born to Run and has tried barefoot running or at least the shoes that simulate running barefoot? I have never been able to find shoes, of any sort, that are truly comfortable for me and I have occasional bouts of plantar fascitis, sore knee and IT band issues. Barefoot running is supposed to help eliminate these problems as the foot strengthens and becomes more flexible. I would be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with running barefoot. I currently wear Asics Gel Cumulus
Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Cross-training

I read somewhere that triathletes rarely suffer from over use injuries (or most injuries) because they are constantly challenging different muscles and in different ways. Makes me think I should ride my bike more
Old 01-28-2010, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

hi pboumansour,

i wear asics 2150s, and have worn that series since the 2080s. when i shop for shoes, i try to find a pair that feels like slippers... and the asics work. i run about 2300 miles per year in them.

when i race i wear minimal shoes; currently the saucony fasttwitch 7. i race in them at all distances, including marathons, and run track work in them.

wearing minimal shoes puts a lot of stress on my achilles, and i definitely feel sore there afterwards. could be a sign that i need more flexibility there. but they are certainly different than regular shoes.

my suggestion is that if you try minimal shoes, or barefoot, start slowly. i probably ran in them 2-3 times a week for a couple of years. my body never adjusted, so i figured i shouldn't switch to minimal shoes for all workouts. i've known two friends who did make a sudden switch -- one got a calf injury (and now a foot injury) and he's still not running well, the other seemed to take the change fine.

i have that book (xmas present) and will read it soon; i did see an interview with the author, and while it's a fun interview, he suggests that barefoot running is for everyone, and we can bring about world-peace if we ditch our running shoes. you can watch it here:
Authors Google Christopher Mcdougall - VidoEmo - Emotional Video Unity

for balance though, mark plaatjes wrote a blurb about barefoot running that seems to have a bit more common sense. check it out here:Boulder Running Company: A Commentary on Barefoot/Minimalist Running | Facebook
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

Mcsolar...thanks for the advice and links. I read the article from the Boulder Running Company and will stop in there when I am in Boulder next time. I have, in fact, bought several pair of shoes at that establishment. Meanwhile, I bought a pair of the Terra Plana Vivo Barefoot casual shoes and have found them to be wonderfully comfortable for day to day wear. If I decide to try running minimalist, after consulting with my ortho and my running coach, I will start very slowly and carefully. I hope you enjoy the book. Regardless, it was a very good read. Run on!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

an interesting commentary on the most recent article in nature about barefoot running just came out this week. it's a lively topic of debate... and i sort of wish i had gone barefoot more as a kid now

The Science of Sport: Running barefoot vs shoes
Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by doowackie
I just started the Couch to 5k running plan last week. So far so good. I am on the second week.
I find it is easier to get through it if I have upbeat music on that I can try to keep up with and not stare at the time on the clock. It's a 9 week program so hopefully by March (if things warm up here) I will be able to start running outdoors. I've never been an active person or a very healthy eater, so I'm trying really hard to be.
I live in a beautiful place that offers many areas for hiking and biking and I'd to be able to experience that rather than sit on my butt all day doing nothing!
I just started the C25K too. I'm in my second week now, and have used mp3's for the workouts with cues as to when to walk/run so I don't have to watch the clock. Several months ago I started running and biking, and did too much too fast and wound up with injuries. This time, I'm taking my time and hopefully doing it right! Good luck to you!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:28 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Podrunner

Not sure whether folks have heard of it or not, but Podrunner is a free (FREE!) mix of music to run and/or workout to. Mostly techno-ish type stuff and I thought I would hate it, but after about 5 minutes I was totally in the groove and not worrying whether the next song on my ipod would suck. They also appear to have mixes/programs for the couch to 5K program as well as 8 and 10K programs. Check them out here:
DJ Steve Boyett - Mixes

Last edited by ArchyJill; 01-31-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

I think taking your time is a good thing!

I've been going for a month and have lost 5 pounds, so that's good. I got my new running shoes and they make a huge difference already! Usually I get pain in my calves and the arches of my feet when I run, but there was hardly any! Now I just need to work on my lungs so they can get through the running haha.

I'm hoping I get an ipod for my birthday or shortly after so when the weather is nice I can take it with me outside, along with my dogs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.