Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by dear_abby
Thanks Ron, yes. I guess it is a habit, one that continues to surprise me. Today I had a dentist appointment ,so no Y, but I got in a neighborhood run. I live in a very hilly part of the world, and at 5 AM it is dark today it was misty, my glasses fogged up as soon as I started, but man, it was fun to just keep moving. I didn't go very fast, in fact, maybe it was a slow jog, but it was up hill both ways! Can't wait for daylight savings, I need to see sunrise again!

Abby
Hills: weight lifting for the butt! I agree about daylight savings, I don't mind starting out in the dark, but ending while it is still dark feels like night time and I am ready to go back to bed

Originally Posted by JaimeMWS
Back to rowing Monday and today. Good workout Monday. Today a beautiful sunrise over the river, but we hit a log and knocked out the thing that allows us to steer, so not as much a workout.
Coach gave us a fiendish set of exercises he wants us to do on days we don't row. I don't know how to motivate myself to do this. I can't even do one push-up, much less 20 "burpies."
Ah burpees! They are a great exercize, but really hard to do many in a row. Start with a couple, take a break and do a couple more. One way to motivate yourself is set a goal. Say... 10 burpees in a row and work towards that goal.

You don't actually have to do full push-ups to do them right. It is mostly the jumping back and jumping up that'll get your heart beating. Most people just kinda flop down on their tummy and then push back up. One thing that helps is to keep your ab muscles tight, it will help stablize your back, so you don't end up hurting it by arching to hard.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thanks, Pam! I think strengthening the ab muscles is probably what our coach wants to happen from the exercise. He put this exercise in a sequence called "serious core."
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
You could always try snowshoes . "Running" in snow shoes is actually a lot of fun, as long as you can laugh at yourself looking like a dork.
That might actually be fun!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM
FitDay Member

Default Wednesday Workout

Arms & Shoulders: (sets/Reps)
Side lateral Raises: 3/6 20# (x2)
Dumbell Curls: 2/5, 1/4 40# (x2)
Seated Tricep Press: 3/6 80#
Dumbell Military Press: 2/5 50#, 1/5 45#
Curl Machine: Burndowns from 90# decreasing by 10# each time failure achieved.
Abs Machine: 1/15, 1/12, 1/3 140#, 1/4 130#
Hanging Straight Leg lifts: 2/10
Elliptical: (Forgot to do my warmup) 35 min, Level 6, HIIT. 3.26 miles 5.59 mph

Get out there and move everybody!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Ok, I'm going to try something new: walk to the gym and do the "Dance with the Devil" and "Committed Core" routines from my rowing coach and walk back. Wish me luck!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

Let know how it goes Jaimie!!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Well, I didn't try the "burpees" (there is a limit to how ridiculous I'm willing to look) but I did some of every other exercise. Not as many reps as the coach said, but the point is to start from where I am and get more fit, isn't it? I did each one until it hurt, and then rested a few minutes and did another set of that number. The half-hour walk each way helped. It was a warm-up before, and cool-down after, and I enjoyed being outside on a beautiful fall day. So one day down!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I didn't try the "burpees" (there is a limit to how ridiculous I'm willing to look) but I did some of every other exercise. Not as many reps as the coach said, but the point is to start from where I am and get more fit, isn't it? I did each one until it hurt, and then rested a few minutes and did another set of that number. The half-hour walk each way helped. It was a warm-up before, and cool-down after, and I enjoyed being outside on a beautiful fall day. So one day down!
Way to go! I agree, you need to start from where you are at. Congratulations on stretching your comfort zone.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yup, abs- solutely right. Everyone starts somewhere, but the idea is to get better and better, so there isn't much point in burning yourself out the first day. I think the walk to and fro is a super idea! Nice warm-up and cool down and at the same time accomplishing your travel - very nice.

I kinda sucked @ CrossFit this morning. Just couldn't get my stuff together to do the kipping pull-ups. Last time I did them - admittedly a while ago - I was using the smallest band and able to link several in a row. Not so much today. Ah well, we can't be super woman every day
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thanks, Ron and Pam! You guys are inspiring and helpful - and, as you say Pam, "can't be super woman every day!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.