Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Nice job on the 1/2 SW! 2:02 is a great time, especially given a leg cramp .

Yesterday was the first longish run I have done since July and I am proud to say that I conquered every hill, and there were some long, steep ones! Felt great, and I didn't feel sore at all this morning.

Today (and yesterday) has been all about getting the garden ready for fall and winter. Here in SoCal winter can be lovely in the garden. That's when we can grow lettuce, chard, and other cool season crops, and I usually have roses for Christmas if I tend to the shrubs about this time of year.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

After having my workout-week last week messed up, I managed to add five minutes to my overall jog/walk, and managed to jog for three minutes at a time. So I'm not doing a half hour, with three minutes of jogging, followed by two minutes of walking. I'm proud of myself.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Ladymiseryali
After having my workout-week last week messed up, I managed to add five minutes to my overall jog/walk, and managed to jog for three minutes at a time. So I'm now doing a half hour, with three minutes of jogging, followed by two minutes of walking. I'm proud of myself.

Very nice!
That's the way to make progress. You deserve to be proud. You will be running for 5 minutes, then 10 min, before you know it. Do you live in an area where you'll be able to keep working on running through the winter?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Very nice!
That's the way to make progress. You deserve to be proud. You will be running for 5 minutes, then 10 min, before you know it. Do you live in an area where you'll be able to keep working on running through the winter?
I run around the neighborhood block. They usually don't properly dig out the sidewalk, but I can manage if need be. If I have to dig out the sidewalks myself, I will. lol.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

Jamie, hope you got your worries in order – the time on the water should provide a relief, but you do have to be able to get there!

Ron, not bad indeed, impressive day – glad you could get your workout in, and support the family out of town.

SW – impressive ˝ sounds like perfect conditions, I wonder if I’ll ever do that? Work up to a 10 K first….

Pam, my winter prep consists of removing the dead stuff, removing leaves, and preparing to shovel! The hills stood no chance with you!

Ladymiseryali NICE – keep moving, it’s a while before we worry about snow – and digging out the sidewalks is great exercise!

I hate people who are always telling their dreams, but I had a terrifying one last night – I dreamed I overslept, and missed my run… I was actually relieved to wake up and see it was only 3:00 AM – plenty of time to still sleep!
Got in 4 ˝ miles, pretty flat, but my 5K time was 25.30, and the overall was 40 minutes.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Mondays Workout

Finally back to the gym. Hopefully my schedule will be better this week.
Chest & Back (sets/Reps)
Incline Hammer Strength Press Machine: 3/6 160#
Incline bench Dumbell Flys: 3/6 45# (x2)
Dumbelll Front Lateral Raises: 3/6 25# (x2)
T-Bar: 3/6 115#
Front Lat Pull Down Hammer Strength machine: 3/6 140#
Ab machine: 2/12, 1/15 140# (Personal Best at 140#)
Back Extensions: 3/6 35#
elliptical: 5 min, level 6 pre-weights, 35 min, level 6 post weights. 3.68 miles 5.51 mph

Ladymiseryali,
You could try doing even shorter sprints/rest intervals. Back when I started getting fit again I would do 10 seconds sprint (really just a quick jog back then) then walk for 50 seconds. As I got in better shape I would increase the sprint and decrease the rest time. This is know as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and the most efficient ratio is 1:2 (currently I do 20 seconds fast then 40 seconds slow). HIIT has been shown in studies to burn twice as many calories as steady state cardio over the 24 hours following the workout. Its thought this is because it conditions the body to be at the ready for the next fast stage for up to 24 hours. I think it helped me get in shape faster.

Pam,
Way to go on your run. Roses for Christmas sound nice.

SW,
Always glad to know another gun guy! I also have a AR15 and a Rock Island 1911 in 9mm (along with some others.) Way to go in the 1/2. Too bad the course got lengthened and threw off your time.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dear_abby
I hate people who are always telling their dreams, but I had a terrifying one last night – I dreamed I overslept, and missed my run… I was actually relieved to wake up and see it was only 3:00 AM – plenty of time to still sleep!
Got in 4 ˝ miles, pretty flat, but my 5K time was 25.30, and the overall was 40 minutes.
Abby,
It must be a habit if you are having nightmares about missing it!! Good run!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Ron, yes. I guess it is a habit, one that continues to surprise me. Today I had a dentist appointment ,so no Y, but I got in a neighborhood run. I live in a very hilly part of the world, and at 5 AM it is dark today it was misty, my glasses fogged up as soon as I started, but man, it was fun to just keep moving. I didn't go very fast, in fact, maybe it was a slow jog, but it was up hill both ways! Can't wait for daylight savings, I need to see sunrise again!

Abby
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Back to rowing Monday and today. Good workout Monday. Today a beautiful sunrise over the river, but we hit a log and knocked out the thing that allows us to steer, so not as much a workout.
Coach gave us a fiendish set of exercises he wants us to do on days we don't row. I don't know how to motivate myself to do this. I can't even do one push-up, much less 20 "burpies."
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Ladymiseryali
I run around the neighborhood block. They usually don't properly dig out the sidewalk, but I can manage if need be. If I have to dig out the sidewalks myself, I will. lol.
You could always try snowshoes . "Running" in snow shoes is actually a lot of fun, as long as you can laugh at yourself looking like a dork.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.