Community
Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Spring/summer 5Ks

Originally Posted by dear_abby
I'm trying to get my nerve up to register for my first 5k - inspire me!

Abby
Hey Abby and Michael, you should both go for it (in separate races, most likely ). There are a bunch of strategies for training, and even running the race that will get you comfortable with the distance. After all 5K is only a mile longer than your current 2 mile distance, Michael. And if you pick a pretty big race, there will be a ton of folks running their first race right along with you. It can be a super atmosphere to just be a part of.

I remember after running my first race thinking to myself "wow, I just love being a part of all these fit people". It was intoxicating, and I have kept on going ever since.

Pam
Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default Can I call it 4?

I finished my run with the treadmill reading 3.99 - it wouldn't let me add a minute when I realized this would happen, but I'm sure I got 1/100th of a mile walking back to the locker room!

I hit 3K in a little over half an hour, and felt like a winner! but, I wish I had half an hour to decompress!

Have a great day all!

Abby
Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

Tae Kwon Do class last night was great. A ton of kicking drills, so it was a great cardio workout.

Today: I have my weight routine to do at lunch, and Tae Kwon Do again tonight.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

yesterday I went out for a run/jog whatever you call it. Half mile in, my shins hurt so bad that I have to walk. I walk 1 mile then on the way back, I try to p/u the pace again. I jogged all the way home.

This is weird. this is the first time I got this pain. Well, I did my routine, not as well as I wanted. But it's ok.
Mai
Old 04-13-2011, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

I'm trying to get my nerve up to register for my first 5k - inspire me!

Abby
Pam is right. The atmosphere at the race would have a huge push of motivation for you. I think it would be really fun. I did a run/walk many year ago (when I was young and not fit ). It was fun.
It's also give you something to look forward to, train for, reach your goal.
Go for it. you can do it.
Mai
Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Did my route in the rain today and got pretty well soaked--the cold wasn't too bad except my hands. My nice Goretex jacket needs a zipper so all I had was a windbreaker which didn't help much.

I'd say I jogged at least a third of the way today though my time wasn't much, if any, better. I seem to go faster when it's nice out for some reason.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the 5K--just gotta wait 'till next payday to register. It's for Autism (or rather, against Autism, I guess) so the $20 fee is for a good cause. You can get it waived if you get enough donations but I hate hitting people up for money.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

So, I was trying to choose a 5K on line, but thought, maybe instead, I'll go for this one- what do you all think? I'm sure I could be ready by Monday

Boston Marathon Back to Results

Date: Mon 04/18/2011

Main Distance: Marathon
Event Size: 25000 Participants
Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by lastri
yesterday I went out for a run/jog whatever you call it. Half mile in, my shins hurt so bad that I have to walk. I walk 1 mile then on the way back, I try to p/u the pace again. I jogged all the way home.

This is weird. this is the first time I got this pain. Well, I did my routine, not as well as I wanted. But it's ok.
Mai
Originally Posted by lastri

Mai

Hi Mai,
You have a classic runners malady: shin splints. They are usually caused by either upping the milage or increasing the pace before your body is quite ready for it.

Rest and backing off a little on the training is the usual treatment.

The other possiblity is that you need different shoes. Are running in old or worn out shoes? You might think about going to a sports or running store and getting a proper fitting now that you are officially a runner.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

So, I was trying to choose a 5K on line, but thought, maybe instead, I'll go for this one- what do you all think? I'm sure I could be ready by Monday

Boston Marathon Back to Results

Date: Mon 04/18/2011

Main Distance: Marathon
Event Size: 25000 Participants

Absolutely Abby!
I think you should just jump right in . BTW if you can't make the registration, you can always "coyote" the race. That is run without being officially registered (or paying) - race directors really like that!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default Loss of great instructor

Hi Friends,

Great to see you didn't let the rain stop you Michael, and Tommy, I've never done martial arts, but am interested, seems like a great challenge - Mai, sorry about your shin splints, I'm not that real of a runner yet!

No, I won't Coyote the Boston Marathon as my first race ever!

So, the instructor wasn't around for our usual Thursday class, this has happened before, he comes a long way by bike or train, so we started without him. Someone else showed up and said he's no longer doing the morning shift at the Y - this is a major loss for me, he was inspiring, I had been saving up some successes to tell him and get a great "high five".

His replacement did a fine class, and I got 20 minutes on the ellipical before hand, but I'll miss him. I think I'll send him a note thanking him for all the help he gave me.

Have a fun day all of you!

Abby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.