Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by zyxst
Urbanmule - Congrats on the great run, in snowy/cold weather no less.

Finished 30 minutes of free weights on my arms. Man, they hurt bad, but when I did a few whole arm twirls, the pain went bye-bye. I can't get over that I made it through! I also got more walking in than I thought. Today was bimonthly shopping, so I ended up traipsing nearly a half mile through stores.

Well done zyxst! Nice that you figure out a way too get rid of the ache.

Well, back from the conference. I am actually pretty proud that I got 2 really nice workouts in. This isn't something I usually do. I am usually so engrossed in the conference and so tired after sitting all day on my butt trying to absorb all the new info that hitting the gym is the last thing on my agenda. I think the attraction of the spa after the workout really helped motivate me. .

I did do a treadmill run & an elliptical run - which most of you know is really rare for me. I have to admit that it was kind of fun. Since it was mostly a warm up for weights I didn't really challenge myself, but the elliptical runner, particularly, was a good aerobic workout.

I am trying to convince myself to head out for a 6 or 7 mile run. I really need to stretch the legs and keep the fitness up for a race in a few weeks, but I think I might be losing the battle
Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Took my husband with a walk a couple hours ago. Something like -10C with wind chill (-3C without) and my teeth ache something terrible. I forgot about that drawback when being outside in such cold weather. Otherwise, it's a great walk.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by zyxst
Took my husband with a walk a couple hours ago. Something like -10C with wind chill (-3C without) and my teeth ache something terrible. I forgot about that drawback when being outside in such cold weather. Otherwise, it's a great walk.
You are awesome! I guess I have skiied in such weather, but not often. And you couldn't get me out for a walk for love or money in such temps
Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 AM
FitDay Member

Cross country skied today for 40 minutes. Beautiful blue sky but cold. Sun made the little bit of snow sticky so didn't go as far as I like but it felt good for first time out this winter. Think I'll go wax my skis while I think about it. Mary
Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 AM
FitDay Member

4 mile bike ride, followed by a 3 mile run
Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Kumochi
Cross country skied today for 40 minutes. Beautiful blue sky but cold. Sun made the little bit of snow sticky so didn't go as far as I like but it felt good for first time out this winter. Think I'll go wax my skis while I think about it. Mary
Originally Posted by Urbanmule

Nice, both of you. Can't wait until we get enough snow to X-C ski.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Urbanmule
You sound like the person that just might know?

Do you think that a say...4 mile bike ride is the same on an inside stationary bike as it is on a road bike, As far as the cardio / calories burned aspect of it?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by oldlift
You sound like the person that just might know?

Do you think that a say...4 mile bike ride is the same on an inside stationary bike as it is on a road bike, As far as the cardio / calories burned aspect of it?
I'm no expert by any means, so take this with a grain of salt:

Always use an upright rather than recumbent bike to simulate a real bike posture...

Road Bikes:
You have to keep your balance
You have to steer and hold onto the handlebars
You can coast
There is a change of scenery
You can feel how fast you are actually moving
Fresh air cools you down

Stationary:
Pretty stable so you don't need to hold yourself up
Hand don't need to do anything but hang there or read your heartrate
As soon as you stop pedaling the fan slows down and the machine shuts off
Usually looking at the clock, t.v., or cute girl/guy working out next to you
Have no concept of how fast/far you are actually going
Fan doesn't offer enough cooling (opinion)

As far as cardio goes:

Riding a stationary bike will help with your cardio, but I would focus more on the time and heart rate than the distance. Imagine riding a bike on the street and how much resistance you feel (uphill, wind, sway) you can mimic those situations by adding levels on the stationary bike. If you're working at the same level as on the road, you'll get the same or at least close calorie burn. Another option is to pay attention to the wattage you put down on the stationary vs road bike and see if it's comparable.

There are plenty of sites on the internet that argue this point to death, also treadmill vs road... Find what works for you and set a base to build off of. If you are training for something in particular nothing beats the real thing.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bettmrr
Hey there,

While browsing the threads today I spotted this one from aug 2010 thought it may be good to get it up and RUNNING again.

I try to workout most days and I'm very proud of myself when I do! I feel our efforts deserve to be recognised.
Alas this is not the most interesting topic for social interactions and I fear i'd have no friends left if I was to go on about it with them.

So we can use this spot to;
-give urself a well deserved pat on the back (or not as the case may be);
-get motivated when ur feeling less energetic;
-Own up when you've phoned it in or been lazy
-share tips and rate workouts.

I am a home exerciser for the most part. So far today I've done a 3.5mile walk but I plan to do more when I get home from work.

Anyone else care to share?
I have been doing less cardio, since I have been in my muscle building and strength phase. Been keeping it short 1-1.5 miles. Today did 1 mile @ 7min. Would like to cut it down to 6:00 though. Back in the day when I was skinnier, I would run @ about 5:30/1m (or 17:00=3m), but I know with my muscle weight, that won't happen.

Last edited by jaykay007; 01-16-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, the rest of the world has been active while I slept in…Zyxst, you’re impressing me keep moving! And, keep your husband moving!

Pam, treadmill? You? I didn’t know you knew what inside looked like.

Mary, my mother is a big X country skier, I should call and see if she’s gotten out, we got our first snow, and she’s a bit north, in Maine, thanks for reminding me!

Mule, off you go,

JayKay – welcome! That’s a nice mile time!

For me, today was spinning, not my best performance, but I followed it with 25 Crunches on the decline bench, holding a 5 lb weight (the weight is new), then 20 each side obliques with a 10 lb dumbell on a ball and the knee lifts on the captain’s chair. Don’t feel much like working.

Abby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.