Did You Exercise Today??? >

Did You Exercise Today???

Community
Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 11-14-2011, 12:23 AM
FitDay Member

Yesterday found a nice long walk on the most beautiful fall day. Today I worked out with a trainer (I probably should be paying for all this individual attention, but he's always happy to help and he's on duty anyway). He was very happy with my squat press progress - as am I - lots of gold stars!

After doing two sets, I had no more muscles, but extra time, so I hopped on a treadmill and did an 8.34 minute mile, and then a slower half mile (ending up 1.5 miles in 15 minutes).

Have a great week!

Abby
Old 11-14-2011, 02:30 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Sounds like a lovely day Abby.
Great work on the squat press. I used to dread squats, I could barely walk the next day. Now I really enjoy the effort it takes.

Not much exercise for me today. But I'll get back to the routine on Tuesday.

ditto the great week everyone
Old 11-14-2011, 11:59 PM
FitDay Member

You deserve a mellow day Pam.

Thinking about motivation, when it does not come from yourself community can fill the gap, that's one of the values of this forum, and also of the staff at the Y who remembers me. I woke up a little before the alarm thinking "I've got Spinning class today".

Very challenging class, several times I figured "I'll just take the next sprint off, oh why not start it, you can always stop, oh, only ten seconds more...". No energy at the end, so just a nice slow stretch.

I've decided to label from now to January 1 "maintain don't gain", if I lose, great, but the focus will be on not letting any scale creep occur.

work hard!

Abby
Old 11-15-2011, 05:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by dear_abby
You deserve a mellow day Pam.

I've decided to label from now to January 1 "maintain don't gain", if I lose, great, but the focus will be on not letting any scale creep occur.

work hard!

Abby
Good strategy Abby, I am thinking along the same lines.

CrossFit - shuttle runs - arrg, not exactly what I was hoping for after the race . But lots of shoulder work as well. It was also long for CrossFit. 24:04 to complete 5 rounds (w/1 min rest) of shuttle run, 15 kettleball sumo deadlifts, 15 clean, squat, thruster (hardest one).
Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 AM
FitDay Member

So Pam, how does cross fit work? you show up and someone says "today's surprise is...." Sounds like it might be inappropriate for those who aren't already somewhat fit.

Today was challenging - warmed up with a mile run (8.34 - that's 7 MPH), then did my lifting routine. Some moves are harder because I'm doing them right since Monday, and overall pushing myself. Glad I did it!

Abby
Old 11-16-2011, 12:29 AM
FitDay Member

I've not gotten back to the Y. Doing my sauna and yoga but not much else although I did a circuit class with my daughter-in-law on Sat. Need to get back to journalling my food. Have not gotten back after being away for the weekend. Not gaining from now to Jan 1st sounds like a good plan. Mary
Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default Maintain Don't Gain til January

Seems like Mary, Pam and I are all in for this, and we haunt this thread, so even though this might be more on topic for another thread, I'm going to post my January 2 maintain don't gain number (that's the Monday).

This Monday, I weighed 158 - I will not weigh more January 2. I will report numbers with each Monday, watching for creep.

Abby
Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Everyone, including the lurkers

Mary glad to see you are getting back. Taking a little break isn't a bad idea, but if you want to get totally back in the routine, just pick and day and decide from then on full throttle. (It works for me, but I know not everyone works the way I do )

Abby, I'll post my weight in a couple of days - I think that is a great idea!

The way CrossFit works is almost as you describe: Surprise! today you are going to do 50 pull-ups, 100 m strints and clean and jerks. The coaches usually workout all the routines for the week so each day is a progression of the last. They usually post the WOD (Work Out of the Day) the night before on the web. I often look at it before I go in, but most people show up and stare at the white board where they write the WOD for all the classes that day. The WODs are organized class style so you sign up for the 8:00, 9:00 or one of several evening classes.

I know lots of beginners are intimidated at first and people often say, "no I can't do that until I am in better shape" but all of the WODs have modifications for skills and everyone starts with light weights until they have perfected the movement. (The coaches are crazy fixated on making sure you have the movement correct before they will allow you to start push the weight).

So like pull-ups: I still can't do them unassisted, but they have the giant rubber bands that you put your feet in that provide extra lift. Or a couple of the really big guys do "jumping pull ups" on a lower bar that allows the power of thier legs to get the chin over the bar.

Although there is a certain amount of competition in the classes, for the most part it is all about mutual support and lots of encouragement. The last one finished gets as much (maybe more) cheering and high-5s as the first person. Mostly it is about pushing yourself and working within your own limits. The coaches are there to just push you a bit harder. Like yesterday I was really running on empty towards the end, but you hear a voice next to you going "come on Pam, push through it - only 7 more to go" and it is amazingly powerful.

Really, it is like have a personal trainer for every single workout. AND for those of us who spend there day thinking and problem solving it is great not to have to figure out "OK, I'm at the gym, now what am I going to do???"

I would suggest that you google it, but the Main website is way too complicated and most of the individual boxes (that's what we call the gym) are geared more to the informed than to the newbies.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Pam, sounds interesting but I'll stick with the Y - it works so well in so many ways for me.

Today didn't impress me, but, hey, I was there and moving - I did a flat 4.5 mile run in 45 minutes 5 K time 29.45 - I didn't mess with elevation at all, and found it hard to keep up with the pace, no where near a personal best, but you can't have those every week.

Serious wardrobe malfunction - I was supposed to take a green jacket, and grabbed grey - I'm now two shades of grey like a black and white photo.

Abby
Old 11-17-2011, 01:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Abby, your Y routine sounds perfect - just filling you in on the details.

hahahaha, wardrobe malfunction gotta look good when your workin' out (I know just what you mean - I have to plow through my tops to find one the goes with the shorts. A green top just doesn't work with the purple shorts).

Mary, make it to the Y today?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.