Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #1691 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Keily664's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 47
Post I'm back!!!

Hey everyone, I'm back. I have no excuses for not working out or eating right for the last few months. I have gained a few pounds sadly, but I expected that.

But I am back and am going to work my big, teehee pardon the pun, but off. I have decided that I'm going to start walk/jog/run in the mornings and in the afternoon I'm going to do some Zumba.

I look forward to the support that you guys can give me and that I will try hard to give back to you.

LOVE ALL,

Kaitlyn
__________________
Name: Kaitlyn
Age:14
Starting Weight: 223.4 lb. Sep.24 2012
Mini Goal: 220 lb.
Goal: 160 or less once I get there we'll see what I look like.

"Just keep swimming"
Quote from Dory
From the movie Finding Nemo
Keily664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #1692 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 965
Default

Welcome back Kaitlyn! (That is also my daughter's name.)

I'm glad that you are thinking about your health at such a young age. Just be careful that the scale isn't your only motivating factor. Your body is still growing and changing and some weight gain will come with that. Excess body fat is what you are trying to eliminate. Don't get too fixated on some number on the scale. This would be a good time to think about weight/resistance training.
__________________
Ron

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200



My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff
rpmcduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #1693 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Keily664's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmcduff View Post
Welcome back Kaitlyn! (That is also my daughter's name.)

I'm glad that you are thinking about your health at such a young age. Just be careful that the scale isn't your only motivating factor. Your body is still growing and changing and some weight gain will come with that. Excess body fat is what you are trying to eliminate. Don't get too fixated on some number on the scale. This would be a good time to think about weight/resistance training.
Thank you for your input i just have one question. What is weight/ resistance training?? I keep hearing it but I have never fully understood what it was.
__________________
Name: Kaitlyn
Age:14
Starting Weight: 223.4 lb. Sep.24 2012
Mini Goal: 220 lb.
Goal: 160 or less once I get there we'll see what I look like.

"Just keep swimming"
Quote from Dory
From the movie Finding Nemo
Keily664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #1694 (permalink)
FitDay Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 158
Default

"Weight/resistance training" is also called strength training. Exercises like push-ups are weight/resistance training. Yoga poses like the plank position are also. So are the exercises done on the weight machines at the gym or with free weights at home or the gym. The focus is to build muscles (as compared to aerobic exercise, in which the focus is to increase endurance and aerobic capacity).
By building muscles, we increase our lean body mass, which is the part that uses calories, so we can eat enough to get the nutrition we need without putting on fat. I also find that I feel better about myself as I get stronger. (Don't worry - you won't start looking like a football player. As we women build muscles, they are leaner than men's.)
Hope this helps!
JaimeMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #1695 (permalink)
FitDay Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 158
Default

"Yoga Core" again today - it is quite a workout - my muscles were sore for two days after the last one! This evening I'm taking my 18-year-old daughter to the gym - she wants to join! Maybe my example is helping?
JaimeMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #1696 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Keily664's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeMWS View Post
"Weight/resistance training" is also called strength training. Exercises like push-ups are weight/resistance training. Yoga poses like the plank position are also. So are the exercises done on the weight machines at the gym or with free weights at home or the gym. The focus is to build muscles (as compared to aerobic exercise, in which the focus is to increase endurance and aerobic capacity).
By building muscles, we increase our lean body mass, which is the part that uses calories, so we can eat enough to get the nutrition we need without putting on fat. I also find that I feel better about myself as I get stronger. (Don't worry - you won't start looking like a football player. As we women build muscles, they are leaner than men's.)
Hope this helps!
Thank you. This does help A LOT. Though for some reason I seem to build muscle faster than all of my friends. My calf muscles are huge and I don't do any running or anything I used to do Pilates, which is where I might have gotten the muscles, but I honestly don't know. And yes i am certain that these ARE IN FACT calf muscles not fat.

I did some zumba this morning and I am about to go do some running/jogging/walking.

LOVE ALL,
Kaitlyn
__________________
Name: Kaitlyn
Age:14
Starting Weight: 223.4 lb. Sep.24 2012
Mini Goal: 220 lb.
Goal: 160 or less once I get there we'll see what I look like.

"Just keep swimming"
Quote from Dory
From the movie Finding Nemo
Keily664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #1697 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Keily664's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 47
Default

Just got back from my walk/jog/run. It was fun and was HARD work. My side now hurts, but other than that I feel GREAT!!!

LOVE ALL,
Kaitlyn
__________________
Name: Kaitlyn
Age:14
Starting Weight: 223.4 lb. Sep.24 2012
Mini Goal: 220 lb.
Goal: 160 or less once I get there we'll see what I look like.

"Just keep swimming"
Quote from Dory
From the movie Finding Nemo
Keily664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #1698 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Ladymiseryali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
Default

I did a 20 minute jog/walk, but before that I did 20 minutes of three youtube workouts(10 minutes of pop-pilates, 5 minutes of weight-free movements, 5 minutes weight-free movements).
__________________
Height-5ft8
Starting Weight-155
Current Weight-149
Short-term goal-145
Ladymiseryali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #1699 (permalink)
FitDay Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 158
Default

Our rowing class was out in singles today, with the coach coming around in a launch to watch us. She corrected part of my stroke and then said "you are very coordinated." !! This is, I think, the very first time in my life that a coach or PE-type teacher said I was coordinated. (I am 56.) I thought I was a complete klutz because I couldn't catch or hit a ball. Just shows there is a sport for everyone, but it may take a while to find it.
JaimeMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #1700 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keily664 View Post
Thank you for your input i just have one question. What is weight/ resistance training?? I keep hearing it but I have never fully understood what it was.
Check out the Bodybuilding.com site. Lots of good information there about exercises and diets and lots articles and stories by women.
__________________
Ron

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200



My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff
rpmcduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2