Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 08-04-2012, 12:55 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hot here today, so I went to the gym, which was cooler. Free and machine weights. I have been thinking - I'm doing well this summer, with the rowing which then inspires me to go to the gym. But I have been here before and then backslid to couch-potato. What will I do when rowing season is over? I'm thinking of trying to learn to X-country ski - but I'm scared.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by JaimeMWS
Hot here today, so I went to the gym, which was cooler. Free and machine weights. I have been thinking - I'm doing well this summer, with the rowing which then inspires me to go to the gym. But I have been here before and then backslid to couch-potato. What will I do when rowing season is over? I'm thinking of trying to learn to X-country ski - but I'm scared.

Hi Jaime,
I think you will LOVE XC skiing! There really isn't anything to be scared about - especially since you already tackled the rowing. You might fall from time to time but unlike downhill skiing you aren't likely to break anything.

If you can walk, you can XC ski (with a little bit of practice!)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

SW - I love Muir woods, such an amazingly beautiful place, have you read any of Muir’s writing? he totally puts you in the spots he explored.

Jamie, go for x-country skiing (is snow reliable where you are?) My mom does it avidly, at 83.

Great kettle bell class today, but serious fashion mishap afterwards – I know I chose a black top to go with my skirt, I remember taking it out of the drawer, but somehow, it didn’t make it into gym bag, so there I am in bra and skirt, trying to figure out how to go to work. I had a cover up that I wear around the locker room, basically a huge t shirt with pink cuffs and a low collar - completely work inappropriate, but almost decent. I put it on planning to stop at the CVS – maybe they have T shirts (they don’t). Head to work knowing I’ve got some jacket which will be far too hot, but I could make do til lunch hour when I could get to a real store. Hallelujah, I have a black T shirt here from some time I changed to go running after work! Never have I been happier to see a T shirt!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Abby, I cringed just reading about your post-workout clothes dilemma! It made me remember a time I went to work wearing my work-out t-shirt turned backwards to conceal the writing on it under my jacket.

I am about an hour and a half from a mountain with snow. I think X-ctry skiing will depend on whether I find a class near me that provides transportation and instruction. If I say I will do it on my own, I won't. I'm also wrestling with whether I can make myself over into a morning person in order to continue rowing - the Masters group rows starting at 5:15 am. Yuck!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by JaimeMWS
Abby, I cringed just reading about your post-workout clothes dilemma! It made me remember a time I went to work wearing my work-out t-shirt turned backwards to conceal the writing on it under my jacket.

I am about an hour and a half from a mountain with snow. I think X-ctry skiing will depend on whether I find a class near me that provides transportation and instruction. If I say I will do it on my own, I won't. I'm also wrestling with whether I can make myself over into a morning person in order to continue rowing - the Masters group rows starting at 5:15 am. Yuck!
Jamie, an hour and a half each way adds 3 hours to your workout, probably not sustainable for a several times a week practice! But, joining a group to do it on weekends could be good. The beauty of X country is you don't need mountains.

What a run today - many people (trainers, this board, my running club) have been nicely nagging me about my lack of hill work. So, I set for 40 minutes, and rolling hills level 4, after ten minutes it turned to rolling hills level 2 - but it was challenging and different, no special speed, ten minute miles so I got 4 of them done in my 40 minutes. Then, I spend 5 minutes setting the machine to its maximum hill (15), and pretty slow, just a slow pull up, felt great!

Abby
Old 08-07-2012, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

OMG so many people doing so much exercise, I feel such a poor relative against all these achivements.

However, I will add my own little pat on the back. Today I did 30 mins on my treadmill with my heart rate in my target zone, being 49 and overweight for me that is between 125 and 135. To get that I had to walk at 3.2mph and have the incline at 5.

Personally i think that is an achievement and yay me, to top it off I have walked into work at a steady pace (just a nice pace, no sweating and no gasping for breath) which is probably around 3mph as I work 1.1 miles away and it takes me about 20/25 mins. Tonight I'll have the walk back as well.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Icewithin
OMG so many people doing so much exercise, I feel such a poor relative against all these achivements.

However, I will add my own little pat on the back. Today I did 30 mins on my treadmill with my heart rate in my target zone, being 49 and overweight for me that is between 125 and 135. To get that I had to walk at 3.2mph and have the incline at 5.

Personally i think that is an achievement and yay me, to top it off I have walked into work at a steady pace (just a nice pace, no sweating and no gasping for breath) which is probably around 3mph as I work 1.1 miles away and it takes me about 20/25 mins. Tonight I'll have the walk back as well.
I add my pat on the back to yours - never feel like the "poor relative" here, you are moving, you are working where you are, and that makes you the one we should all be looking up to! It will amaze you if you keep it up, and I look forward to cheering fo ryoiu!

YAY YOU!

Abby
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dear_abby
SW - I love Muir woods, such an amazingly beautiful place, have you read any of Muir’s writing? he totally puts you in the spots he explored.
It so calming & relaxing, I haven't been there since grade school. We're already planning on going back without the niece & nephew so we can go for a longer hike. I'm also going to look into getting some books by Muir, I had no idea he was so important to the preservation of nature.

As for your clothing dilemma, that would be a big bummer, the worst thing that's ever happened to me was wearing my gym shorts inside out. Couldn't imagine missing some some key components....

Went for 6. 7mile run after work yesterday in 98* weather, we've got a 5 day triple digit heat wave coming and I figured I better do it while its "cool"

I also ran without my Ipod and noticed how noisy all the little critters are along the trail. Kinda neat hearing all the lizards, squirresl and birds, just gotta watch for the snakes. I haven't seem one yet this season, but I know they're there...
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

ALL are welcomed here! Excellent job on the walking - especially to and fro work. 1.1 miles after a full day of work seems like a marathon to me - well done.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I am so impressed with you walking to work! When I get done with work it is all I can do to walk back to the locker room for my things. Exercise is one item I have not added. It is not because we don't have access. We own every type of machine and have a great work out room with mirrors and all. My husband uses this room faithfully. I visit with my daughter's cat while watching him. No excuses for me I just can't get motivated. I think that cleaning house along with cooking are items that I have to plan and store my energy for, so I am able to get these chores done. The house needs cleaning more than my treadmill needs me. I don't know how to get motivated and get started on an exercise routine. Doing great cooking meals and keeping calories so I just need to get going. Any tricks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.