Did You Exercise Today???

Community
Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dear_abby
Sorry Kim, you cant count being apolitical as exercise – Admittedly, it can be hard to do in some situations. (I assume that’s an excessively helpful spellchecker for elliptical).
LOL, spellchecker got me again
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Whooo hoooo, I finally got "toes to the ring" this morning. This is a movement where you are hanging on rings (like the ones male gymnasts use) and using a bit of a swing and a kip lift your toes overhead to the ring. It is as much technique as it is strength. I knew I had the strength I just couldn't get the technique down until today
RBS - there is only one word "WOW".

Abby, 5K and bootcamp. You are amazing

Kimbur good job on the eliptical. Chest and hamstrings is an interesting combo.

It was interval training on the treadmill. Then an assortment of weights as it was so busy at the gym I took what I could get.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 AM
FitDay Member

Crazigerl – interval training sounds pretty challenging, I do it in spin class, and know it is good for me – Busy gyms must be a nusance, early morning that’s not a problem, but on the rare occassions I’ve gone to the Y after work its been challenging.

Just a run today – went 35 minutes pretty well (it averaged 10 minute miles, but some fast in there, then ten minutes of a walk with lots of elevation, and a glorious cool down walk.
Have a great day!

Abby
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default Bikram yoga: calorie burn?

I took my second bikrma yoga class today ( 90 minutes). AS I am quite overweight (39 pounds over my target currently at 219 on 5'!11" frame), I found it really hard to stay in the room but I stuck it out and Now I feel fantastic!
I just wish somebody had a reliable way to measure the calorie burn. Some site in Australia has a formula saying 1500 calories based on my weight but I doubt that is accurate. Can anyone suggest something more realistic?

Tx.

DCW
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by didcrywolf
I took my second bikrma yoga class today ( 90 minutes). AS I am quite overweight (39 pounds over my target currently at 219 on 5'!11" frame), I found it really hard to stay in the room but I stuck it out and Now I feel fantastic!
I just wish somebody had a reliable way to measure the calorie burn. Some site in Australia has a formula saying 1500 calories based on my weight but I doubt that is accurate. Can anyone suggest something more realistic?

Tx.

DCW
Wow congrats on the bikram - I just do think I have the right stuff, as much as I love yoga.

As far as the calorie burn it is so dependent on so many things, including your mental state of mind at the time, there just isn't a one number for each activity or even each activity for you. There are ways to get an accurate accounting, however, if you are willing to hang out in a lab with wires hooked all over you body .

One slightly more mobile method is to get a heart rate monitor. It will tell you how hard your heart is working which is directly related to how many calories you are burning.

There are basically 4 rates of burn, well 5 if you include your basal metabolic rate - that is the amount you burn if you were on complete bed rest.

So you have sitting at your desk, or laying in bed reading a book - slightly more that the BMR, but basically a resting heart rate.

Then you have your walking around, doing the dishes, taking out the trash, vacuuming... you know nothing very strenuous, but you know you were active at the end of the day, which gets the heart rate up over the resting rate.

Then you have your active burn - elevated heart rate that you can feel with an increase in breathing. That can be anything from carrying a couple heavy bags of grocieries, to a power walk, to planting a garden (although that can be vigorous too).

Finally the vigorous burn - running, biking uphill or fast, power lifting, digging ditches, things that you can't sustain for very long. Very elevated heart rate.

Each has a percent increase over your resting calorie burn rate. With practice you can get a pretty good estimate or your actual burn.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
FitDay Member

Ran 2 miles (14 min) at work today during lunch.
I'll hit the weights at home after work for a Full Body Work Out (FBWO).
Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by phillip413
Ran 2 miles (14 min) at work today during lunch.
I'll hit the weights at home after work for a Full Body Work Out (FBWO).
Wow 7min/mile - that's fast!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by didcrywolf
DCW
Good for you didcrywolf, I have tried that but just keep throwing up. It is not very lady like. I get to about an hour and that's it.

Good job on the run, Abby, you are right about the interval training. I get to about 30 minutes and I find that it is all I can do as the intervals start getting too hard. I always feel worn down the next day. So today I just did stretching.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 AM
FitDay Member

Everyone has had an active week that's great!!! Good job all!

Last night was back and biceps followed by an hour on the elliptical.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Nice Kimbur!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.