Notices

morning or evening?

Old 01-16-2011, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default morning or evening?

I was curious which people think is better, exercising in the morning or evening? Or is it just preference? I was exercising a bunch in the evening (few hours before bed) with my roommate a while back, but now I have some mornings free.
I know it's good to shake up a workout routine, so would it be good to do some mornings and some evenings? Hopefully my roommate and I will begin exercising again, when we do it's going to be more resistance training and core work. In the mornings I am trying to take a jog- so more cardio.

Thanks
k
Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Mornings for me

Hi kendraku,
I don't think that it really matters as far as how many calories you burn. It is mostly what works best for you. For me, if I don't get it done first thing, it just doesn't get done. Plus the morning run really helps to clear the head and set up the day.

That being said, I do go to evening yoga classes, but that is as much a social activity as it is an exercise activity.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 AM
FitDay Member

Cool thanks,
I know working out socially helps me a bunch. Plus yoga can be a nice addition especially for flexibility. I think I will try and do similar with keeping one stable time since if I can put something off till later I will, until the day is over :P

k
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Yup,
I believe it was Pooh (as in Winnie) who said why do today what can be put off until tomorrow - seems to be both bear and human nature
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
FitDay Member

I think I'm one of those night owls that wishes she could be an early bird. I work out in the evening, but I always think about switching to mornings... Maybe someday -- it would probably make me feel like a more productive, high-fuctioning person! I figure, as long as I get in there and do *something* at *some point* during the day, its all good!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

I do both and there are pros and cons. If I'm working at home and have the flexibility, sometimes I will get my workout in during the day. Usually it's at night, though. I'm like SailorDoom...more alert at night, more energy then. Plus it also keeps me very mindful of snacking at night; I don't want to undo the workout benefits I just gave myself!

I think the right answer is...whenever you are willing to do it.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SailorDoom
I think I'm one of those night owls that wishes she could be an early bird. I work out in the evening, but I always think about switching to mornings... Maybe someday -- it would probably make me feel like a more productive, high-fuctioning person! I figure, as long as I get in there and do *something* at *some point* during the day, its all good!

Absolutely, if I get any exercise done at any point during the day I'm happy. Mornings for me are a struggle just to get up and shower, I don't really waken up until about 9 in work. Lunchtimes are my best time and then I have an evening window where I suddenly perk up again. So I just go with the flow.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM
FitDay Member

The work out does me the most good if I get it done in the morning, and the morning workouts are always at home. However when I go to the gym it's always in the evening, which is also nice in it's own way, but sometimes it gets me hyped up and I have trouble sleeping.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

I'm an evening exerciser. Kids go sleep at around 9pm and then is my time to hit the pedals (stationery bike) or start the DVD. During workout on bike I like to watch things like The Biggest Loser, Fat Families, Half Ton Teen and the like, either on TV or on youtube. It's a great motivation
Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Early morning exercise for me, whether I'm going for a run or hitting the gym, it seems to set my "tempo" for the day when I work out before going to work.

I'll occasionally go to the gym after work, but it's usually crowded (dang resolutioner crowd), my energy level has also leveled off by them and I'm usually fighting hunger.

I used to do late night workouts, but my sleep time was suffering and I would also want to eat and them sleep on a full stomach- not so good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.