Notices

Anyone on here doing p90x??

Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Runnerchi
It is intense, isn't it? I love the Core Synergystics workout the best so far.

As for balance, yes, I struggle with that and especially in yoga. The other thing I find that I struggle with is the strength to do the pull ups. I also do the pushups on my knees. I'm looking forward to getting to the point where I have the balance and strength for all of it. I like what Tony says about the workouts though - just show up.

Are you doing the classic or the lean?
I'm doing classic. I also do the pushups on my knees & have to use a chair to help with the pull ups. Today is Kenpo & I have been looking forward to it all day!

Thank for your response, it is reassuring to know that someone else is having similar difficulties. Although it is sooo hard, I'm not giving up.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi

My husband and I are starting tomorrow! I have been planning my meals all weekend- I am vegan and trying to plan how to get in 225g of protein without too much tofu! I am going to do the lean and my husband is doing classic!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:27 AM
FitDay Member

How do you like the insanity program. I was looking into getting into that program but trying to decide between P90X and Insanity
Old 03-07-2010, 09:53 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Bring It !

I'm just starting second phhase. 1st phase was an eye opener. Prior to P90X I had been walking on treadmill, up 15 degrees, at 4.7 MPH, an hour per day. Also was doing free weights and ab machines. Thought I was in pretty good condition. Uh-uh. P90X wakes up parts of you you forgot you had. After 30 days only dropped 3 pounds, but significant difference in tightness. Core/legs/shoulders/ arms all feeling good. Of course I'm just ending the "recover" week. All new fun tomorrow.

The first thing you learn with P90X is that your favorite piece of workout equipment is the pause button on your DVD player.

I'm 58.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mjstallworth
For those of you who are doing, or have done P90X, what do you think of a 48 yo woman who is about 50lbs overweight and extremely out of shape trying it?

I'm thinking of doing the "Lean" version, but I'm a bit afraid of it being too hard for me and giving up. I currently do a couple of different workout tapes, and I've not been able to finish more than 20 minutes at a time.

Am I setting myself up for failure?
I don't think anyone else can answer that question for you. It is intense, but you can work at your own pace, modify the exercises and pause whenever you need to catch your breath. When I started P90 (not the X version) I was 100 pounds over weight, completely out of shape and 53 yrs old. I had to modify all of the exercises at first and gradually could do some of them the regular way. I gained a lot of muscle and burned a lot of fat in a very short period of time.
If you're not in condition, have any health or joint issues or are getting long in the tooth, you have to really listen to your body and know your limits to not injure yourself. I say this because I have fibromyalgia so I always had to work my muscles to the point of fatigue just to do the workout. I had to ice some joints after exercising and kept re-injuring my shoulders, eventually ended up having to quit all of the exercises that involved shoulders while the injuries healed. During that recovery period I stopped exercising together. My shoulders have healed although both are still considered unstable. So this time I'm easing into exercise slow and easy and after my body is more conditioned I might go back to P90 (skipping the weight/band exercises that caused the shoulder injuries) but will take a much slower approach.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
FitDay Member

Default P90x

Are there any P90X users.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

yep, almost finished 180 days.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

No, just a wannabee. I watch the infomercial all the time, but it seems to me that all the people were in really fabulous shape at one point (somewhat recently) in their lives and are "getting back into shape" which is not really my story. Now if they had put a fat middle aged housewife on the program and turned her into a supermodel in 6 months, my check would be on it's way Fed-ex by the end of the show.

My nephew has it but like the folks in the infomercial, he was in fantastic shape not too long ago. Eight months on a tour of duty in Iraq will do that to you.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
No, just a wannabee. I watch the infomercial all the time, but it seems to me that all the people were in really fabulous shape at one point (somewhat recently) in their lives and are "getting back into shape" which is not really my story. Now if they had put a fat middle aged housewife on the program and turned her into a supermodel in 6 months, my check would be on it's way Fed-ex by the end of the show.

My nephew has it but like the folks in the infomercial, he was in fantastic shape not too long ago. Eight months on a tour of duty in Iraq will do that to you.
how about a fat, almost middle aged dad? http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...tory-pics.html
Old 03-14-2010, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker

Almeeker-my husband and I did P90 for 1.5 months until I injured my shoulder (and lower back) to the point where I had to stop to let the injuries heal properly. It is a really, really intense workout program. Anyways what I wanted to suggest to you is to go to their website's forum and you'll see and hear from those ppl -- quite a few of the women were morbidly obese when they started and their after 90 days pictures were amazing--not model thin unless they did a second or third round of P90X but very impressive changes! Only a couple of them were middle aged, some don't say how old they are and when in shape they just looked young to me.
I'm in my 50's but the only ppl I saw with those amazing results who started in the morbidly obese range at my age were men. Maybe that's changed now I haven't been back to the website in about a year.
Like you, I'm only 5'2" and weighed about the same at our starting points - I was at my highest weight when I started and lost 50 pounds in that time frame - no kidding!
I tend to push myself too far so coming from a sedentary lifestyle to that kind of intense workout is why I kept injuring myself. If you took it slower & paced yourself within your own abilities not do what the ppl of the DVDs are doing I highly recommend giving it a try. I still think it was worth the investment b/c I learned so much about exercise & what my body can and can't do at this age/shape and I hope to do a full 90 days of it when I slowly ramp myself up to the level again. I lost a lot of inches very, very fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.