Notices

Anyone on here doing p90x??

Old 07-01-2010, 05:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default Update

Hi All! Just wanted to update you on my progress. Week 2 went awesome! Added more weight on a lot of the exercises...for those that I didn't I added more reps. Felt I really "brought it" in week 2. Week 3, however, not so good...in fact I'm thinking if I continue I may restart week 3 this next week and extend my program. The problem is it is GORGEOUS outside and I do NOT want to stay inside and watch a DVD. I haven't even been home most of the week. I've gone on a couple runs and did yoga at a class outside so it's not like I haven't worked out I just had to take advantage of this weather. In WI we don't get a lot of this. I'm actually thinking about putting p90x on the back burner and joining an outside bootcamp class for the summer. Then I'll pick it back up in the winter again when you can't pay me to be outside! For all of you that have brought it and are continuing to do so my hat is off you you. You are an inspiration!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

Randala,

I know what you mean about being outside. That is why I put all my favorite workouts on my iPod. It is a great way to workout outside, and still have a video to pace yourself against.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Coey, couple of things in response:

I know the scale is the least beneficial way to track my progress, and like I said, it's just a psychological thing since the pounds were melting off and now they're not. I plan to see what my measurements, including BF%, are after phase 1 of the X before I pass judgement.

As for my diet, I don't really consider myself to be on a calorie restriction. I'm full at each meal and get hungry every 2-3 hours, which is about how often I eat on a normal day. I seem to function well on 1600-1800 a day, but have tried to up that since starting the X knowing it will put a heavier demand on my and I tend to plan out my meals and eat roughly the same thing each day for a week, so this week looks like this:

6:00-workout (CardioX) followed by a protein shake
8:00-cup of coffee
9:00-half can of tuna, one roma tomato, and a little spicy mustard for flavor, and also a couple of egg whites
12:00-lunch consisting of a cup of veggie soup, half cup of canned chicken mixed with some chic peas, tomatoes, and some mustard. And a cup of cherries
3:00-a couple of egg whites, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, protein bar
5:00-workout (whatever X workout is scheduled for the day)
6:00-6:30ish: dinner-lasagna made with few noodles and tons of veggies and a little turkey burger. Maybe a handful of raw cauliflower if I was a bit hungry

That puts me around my usual calorie range but has tons of lean protein. And as for doing the high protein thing, it's not intended to be a sustainable diet by any means, I function pretty easy at a 40-40-20 ratio and it's not hard to maintain those kinds of numbers. But for the sake of the X, I thought I'd try to follow their diet plan while doing this first round and see what it did for me. From then on I can tweek the diet plan or lay out the workouts differently to suit me. I only have another two weeks of phase one, then the eating plan moves to that 40-40-20 ratio. I don't think a couple of weeks on a high protein diet will do too much damage!

My last BF% put me around 19%, which I consider not to shabby (for a girl of course!), considering 22% is often considered to be the highest healthy BF% for women. I am hoping to see that number drop and have seen a lot of improvements in my shoulders and upper body. It's always been my hips and thighs that prove to be stubborn, so we'll see what the X can do for them!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Wannabefitgirl,

It looks like your nutrient density is very low. In other words, you are getting your macronutrients, but not a lot of micronutrients. Make fruits and vegetables your main dish and then have smaller side dishes of stuff you want to eat. More raw and less cooked which will provide you with more micronutrients. Micronutrients are what keep your body working smoothly and are very often overlooked.

Other then the Chickpeas and the veggies, it doesn't look like you are getting a lot of fiber. You might want to swap out something low in fiber or no fiber for lentils or beans. I love lentils because they are really high in proteins, high in fiber, and low in fat. And, if you deduct the fiber calories, you can eat a lot of it and still not be over your calorie count. Plus, they are loaded with vitamins and minerals.

Are you drinking water? Coffee doesn't count. Actually, consider coffee minus 1 glass of water. You should drink enough water so that your pee is mostly clear. If it is very yellow, your system is not working as efficiently as it could be.

Something to consider about the cottage cheese. Dairy is for putting on weight. A baby cow quadruples in size on his/her mothers milk. If you want to lose weight, then dairy is not the answer. It is full of hormones whose job it is to cause an increase in weight. Those hormones can also mess with your own bodies functions and make it so your body doesn't want to get rid of fat. I lost my most weight when I gave up dairy.

Eggs whites are better than the yolk, but also consider that the egg is for taking a single cell and multiplying it billions of times bigger. Not the best for losing weight.

Protein bars are processed junk to me. They are great for macronutrients such as protein, carbs, and fat, but they often have very few micronutrients. In other words, they are not nutrient dense. A piece of fruit will give you much more nutrients and probably much fewer calories. Unless it is something like avocado which is high in calories. Apple, bananas, oranges, etc, are all low in calories for their mass and high in nutrients.

Are you doing any long slow distance exercises? P90X is great for getting into shape, but the long slow distance will burn more fat per workout. If you walk 5 miles a day, you would burn about the same as a P90X workout, but more fat than carbs. Hiking, biking, rollerblading, etc at a pace that allows you to breath normally are the best fat burning exercises.

I hope this helps
Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

I do have plans to add routine jogs back into my workout routine, mostly because I miss it, but it did really help me shed pounds too. I'm planning some changes to my diet for the next week or two trying to get more variety into my meals. Admittedly, a few weeks ago (before the X) when I was just sticking to a particular calorie range and paying less attention to my protein/carb/fat ratios and doing more long range exercising (like jogging), my body responded well. I just wanted to give it the challenge of something new. Plus I wasn't tracking my food then, so I don't have any way of comparing my ratios to what they used to be.

Anyway, long story short, I'm still giong to stick to the X, just making some modifications where necessary. And it's only been about two weeks since I started, so I won't be too hard on myself yet for not seeing any improvements.

I have legs and back tonight, which is just about the only workout that consistenly makes me sore, no matter how in-shape I am. Plus I'm attending a wedding this weekend and will need to keep up the willpower so I don't overindulge. Oh well, there will be people there who haven't seen me in quite some time and I am hoping for a few complimentary remarks!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
Hi Denizko,

I am sure you have sprained an ankle or twisted a knee at some time in your life, right? What happens? It swells like crazy! Anytime you injure yourself, you body sends water to the injury to protect it and help it heal. Well, P90X is an intense workout and you are tearing a lot of muscle during those workouts. You are essentially injuring most of the muscles in your body. You are going to gain weight, swell, and feel a little bloated. This happens to me every time I start on a program after taking time off.

Good luck!
Heck you are right!
My shoulder is injured (Acromio-Clavicular Joint Separation, Rockwell Grade 5) and I underwent surgery in September, I've got a hook-plate implanted, like this: Upon recovery I mostly trained lower body. Currently I still feel pain during some several exercises, but I try to push through it. My Dr. says I'm making very good progress though, he didn't actually expect I would be recovering so fast. This autumn hook-plate should be removed

Last edited by denizko; 07-02-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:57 AM
FitDay Member

Ouch! How did you do that? Glad to here you are recovering!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default How can I mimic P90X with gym classes?

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing some research (you tube watching and looking through this forum) about the P90x program. I was wondering, if I wanted to mimic this program by taking the right combination of classes at the gym (the Les Mils Classes, etc), what classes should I take? What would be a normal weekly schedule?

Thanks! This will help me decide if I should sign up for a gym membership or seek an alternative 3 month exercise plan.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

@Bebe, why not just do the p90x program instead ? Itll save you a ton of money in the long run. If you are really wanting to do the gym thing, a somewhat close routine would be this...
Day 1- Weights
Day 2- sign up for a cardio class of some sort 1 hr in length
Day 3- Weights
Day 4- Find a yoga class if they have them
Day 5- Weights
Day 6- Sign up for a Kempo class.

That would be about it. Make sure all of your workouts are at least 1 hr.
__________________________________________________ ______

Well I am a first time poster here and jsut wanted to add my name to the list of those who have tried p90x. My wife and I are doing it and we love it. We are now on week 7 and to date I have lost 11 pounds and my wife has lost 12. We dont follow the diet plan although we are watching what we eat and making sure we have a calorie deficit of some sort everyday. We dont take any of the gimmick supplements either. Just run to Target or something and grab a protein mix if you really wanna do that although neither of us do.

To give a slight background, we both are on the high end of normal weight and wanted to get back to our college bodies. We really are becoming quite devoted to this workout and are really exicted to finish and go for round 2. One interesting thing is that I lost most of my weight in the first 30 days where my wife has lost most of hers after week 4. My goal is to lose 17 pounds total over the course of the 3 month program and so far so good.

I would recommend anyone to try this as it really is a wonderful and difficult program. Neither my wife or myself have ever done any home workouts before but this really works you. Adding fitday and keeping track of our calories helps a ton too. Id say the biggest thing to losing weight for us has been making sure we have a calorie deficit. The workouts usually burn about 400-500 calories but they are making both of us look amazing so try both if you can.

As a final thought, Im running 50% carbs, 25% fat and 25% protein and the weight is just falling off of me and the workouts are getting me back to a body I havent seen since I was 23. Good times and a great thread. Ill see about posting again when we finish. We have a Cabo trip right as week 12 ends !

Good luck to everyone trying this. Its more than worth it.

Last edited by simonladen; 07-05-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

@simon,

Thanks for the reply. I feel more motivated to work out everyday in a group setting. If I had a workout partner, I would try the p90x. Moreover, a student gym membership is only $100 for 3 months, which is approximately the same or even much cheaper than what I am finding the P90x sells for.

Also, your vacation planning sounds like a great way to motivate yourself! I hope to plan a get together with my college friends at a beach once I start seeing some progress.

Good luck to you and your wife, keep on trucking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.