Gym machines/reps and sets >

Gym machines/reps and sets

Community
Notices

Gym machines/reps and sets

Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default Gym machines/reps and sets

Well I started back to the gym after having been away for 5 years due to surgery. Now I found myself less secure about what machines to use, how manys reps and number of sets on each one.

The gym has personal trainers present but I'm more of a loner when I'm there. Currently I have a friend who has adjusted his gym schedule to help me but that won't last forever and I'd really like to do it on my own.

Any websites that explain each piece of equipment and give recommendations on how to get started, when to work each muscle group, and for how long to tone up?

Last edited by apbtgurl; 01-29-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

You should ask the staff at the gym for a recommended program. They should then take you through how all the equipment works.

You can get lots of programs on the web. A lot of the good ones cost you money because they have been developed by professional instructors or body builders who have taken years to work the best programs for the best results.

I subscribed to one and it covers absolutely everything I need for my goals, complete with video demonstrations of how to do each exercise.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:59 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 AM
FitDay Member

I agree--the gym should give you at least one session free. Also, check out exrx(dot)net. They have free videos of thousands of exercises and tons of reliable information. Good for you for jumping back on that horse!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

It all depends on what your goals are for lifting weights. Generally when I personally start a weight lifting program I will mainly train all body parts everyday for the first 2-4 weeks. Doing this I like to use free weights and maybe 2 sets with reps at 20 or more using light to medium weights. This along with stretching and an aerobic type activity gets my muscles, ligaments and tendons ready for a more focused weight training program.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
FitDay Member

COngrats on getting back to the gym. My opinion is too forget the machines and forget the trainers. Look online for a basic weight training program that focuses on compound lifts, squat, bench press, etc. (no you won't get big like a guy fyi) and do that every other day. You should look up some books by Mark Rippitoe. starting strength is a great book for beginners.