First 5k Race of 2011... >

First 5k Race of 2011...

Community
Notices

First 5k Race of 2011...

Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sw07
I've also been invited to try out for a Softball team by some co-workers.....
Nice...that should be great, especially now that the weather is warming up again!

I've got a question for you, which you might be able to answer since you run yourself. I've never worn a pulse monitor before, but my running buddy lend me his yesterday and now I'm more confused than ever. We changed his stats to mine (I'm 5'5, female and 29 y/o) and found out that we've got pretty much the same "optimal training pulse range" (between 123 and 163 beats per minute). That's one thing I find confusing. He is a lot taller (183 cm) and heavier (about 100 kgs), but one year younger.
For 10 ks we needed about 1.15 hours, that's what we've been running continuously. However, the monitor informed me that I was above the recommended range for more than 45 minutes. My pulse was often somewhere between 150 to almost 170. Does that mean that we are still going to fast for my heart's liking? Do I need to bother at all? Do I need to slow down? Do i need to practice more often? I feel fine and energetic during the runs, not exhausted or nauseous.
My resting pulse rate is 119/120.
Help?