FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   My Last 5k race for the year... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/2630-my-last-5k-race-year.html)

sw07 12-11-2010 05:53 AM

My Last 5k race for the year...

..and it was my fastest yet:)
I ran it in 22:40, ya, I know its not super fast, but I did come in 4th out of 10 in my age div. (40-49). Next years goal is to break into the 21:00 mark...I hope.

A year ago, I never thought that I would be into running 5k races, but this race will have been my 11th since 7/3/10.
Sure is fun....:D

01gt4.6 12-11-2010 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by sw07 (Post 28112)
..and it was my fastest yet:)
I ran it in 22:40, ya, I know its not super fast, but I did come in 4th out of 10 in my age div. (40-49). Next years goal is to break into the 21:00 mark...I hope.

A year ago, I never thought that I would be into running 5k races, but this race will have been my 11th since 7/3/10.
Sure is fun....:D

seems fast to me. Congrats on the PR!

sw07 12-11-2010 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 28117)
seems fast to me. Congrats on the PR!

Thanks

mtlgirl 12-11-2010 10:07 AM

Color me impressed!

Amazing time! Congrats!!!! :)

cjohnson728 12-11-2010 02:01 PM

That's awesome! Congrats to you :).

sw07 12-13-2010 05:37 AM

Hmmmm....I've been doing some post race analyzing and I've come up with why my time was soo much faster than normal..

At about the 2 mile mark, I found myself between the super fast group and not so fast group with small groupings between.
I had set my sights on passing an older runner that looked like he's been running for quite a few years (looked like he was on running team). As I closed the gap on him, I can tell he heard me coming up fast and he started to increase his pace- great, a little drag race.
I did overtake him but he wasn't gonna let that happen with out a fight- we exchanged leads a couple of times, but I also noticed how distracting this guy's running style was.
His arms are were flailing everywhere, he had a weird running gait, I could hear his feet slapping the pavement and he was doing this groaning, almost yelling type of noise and I thought WTF?? How annoying because I can hear all this with my headphones on,..ugh.....then I caught a whiff of his B.O.-no effin' way was I going to be stuck behind a smelly and obnoxious runner, I'm thankful he didnt eat beans;)
So, we came up to the last long straight away with a slight incline and I punched it. Luckily for me, I had some pounding metal pumping out of my headphones that helped me keep my new tempo->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7NOPk7eaI
. I put some serious distance between that guy and me and I never heard from him again.
The next turn was the final 1/8th to the finish- I had no idea I ran what I did till I checked the results.
So in a way, the stinky guy pushed me to a personal record:D

2 more weeks till the 1st race of '11.....I'm so addicted to racing now....

Mark999 12-13-2010 05:52 AM

I've been doing th Couch to 5K workouts just to be able to run 5K without walking. How fast I run it is not the point for me, just being able to do it.

Last week I ran a full 5K with no walking. It's the first time I've ran such a distance in more than 25 years. It took me 36 minutes so yeah, 22 minutes seems kinda fast.

Couch to 5K works. I still have a couple more weeks on the program and suspect I will get my time down to around 30 minutes.

sw07 12-13-2010 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mark999 (Post 28344)
I've been doing th Couch to 5K workouts just to be able to run 5K without walking. How fast I run it is not the point for me, just being able to do it.

Last week I ran a full 5K with no walking. It's the first time I've ran such a distance in more than 25 years. It took me 36 minutes so yeah, 22 minutes seems kinda fast.

Couch to 5K works. I still have a couple more weeks on the program and suspect I will get my time down to around 30 minutes.

Congrats! I wasn't really too concerned with my times when I first started running either, ( I ran a 27:15 on my 1st 5k).
I was more concerned with running nonstop and actually finishing and not hurting myself in the process, so ya- give it time and keep training- it's all about the journey......

cjohnson728 12-13-2010 08:12 AM

Great story of motivation for your fastest time, sw07. I feel slow compared to you :D.

I was kinda hoping to break 30 min. in my first 5K a week ago, but I missed it by 56 seconds. I have beaten it in training. Not sure if it was the rainy day, working around the other runners, or a Thanksgiving hangover. Or perhaps being 43 and out of shape most of my life :p.

If you've got any speed building tips, please post 'em. I've been working on incorporating intervals lately thinking that might help.

mtlgirl 12-13-2010 12:11 PM

Yes I'd love to hear some tips. I am currently running a 5k in 34 minutes. However I haven't been able to run in over a week now. We have had a giant snowstorm and it's impossible. I am freaking out a little... thinking maybe I should get a gym membership so I could train on the treadmill when I can't run outside.