Hula Hoop - regular vs. weighted >

Hula Hoop - regular vs. weighted

Community
Notices

Hula Hoop - regular vs. weighted

Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hula Hoop - regular vs. weighted

I need some advise or may be somebody has an experience using hula hoop to define weist line and get rid of love handles.
I recall during my childhood it was fun. With regular, not weighted hula hoop. And my waist was so good, that I have to customize each single skirt or dress I bought.
THis time trying to get same good waist line I ordred weighted hula hoop - 4 lb. But I got scared after I received it and read the warnings... They say do not play with it around your waist longer then 1-3 min/day for the first week, then 3-5 min/day - and you may still get bruised for about 2 weeks. Not to mention an impact on spine - if any spine injuries, the use is just prohibited...
I will send it back. I do not want to "may get bruised for 2 weeks". But could it really work??? Or the regular one would do same but just after longer time or playing it around the waist line?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
FitDay Member

Spot reducing using a single exercise is a myth. If that piece of equipment seems at all dangerous to you don't use it.

Weight training with free weights, various types of cardio and high intensity training along with a good diet will get you that waist you want.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

Hula hoop? Sounds fun, I think I'll get one. Thanks for the reminder! I won't get the weighted one. It's not for "spot reducing," just for something extra to keep moving.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

Any exercise as long as you stick with it and it's safe, is good in my book...

Even the $ store hula hoops can help...
Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

I hula hoop about 30 minutes a day. I use a "weighted" hula hoop. Although, you should be more specific when using the term "weighted". Are we talking water, sand, or just a heavy pvc? Also, the size plays a huge factor. Try it out. If it hurts, then go with a lighter hoop. Or buy padding for the hoop. Or try a larger diameter hoop. If it is heavy, but thin, it will hurt more than if it is heavy, but thick. The thicker the hoop is the better. 1" is about where I reccommend begginners aim for. Also, be aware that if you haven't hooped in many years, there is strain on places you may not expect. Your knees, for instance, are likely to feel the strain. Start out slow. Go for a large hoop (at least to your belly button when standing up, though bottom of your rib cage is better) at a thick diameter. Aim for 3-5 minutes of hooping a day, and slowly increase. If you feel discomfort, stop. If you start to bruise, stop. Try to go with 100-120 psi tubing, any higher will be too stiff and might bruise your hips.

Mostly, just play with it. You need to get your body back to a point where you are used to doing this activity. If you haven't run in 20 years, then try to go out and run a marathon with no training you are going to get yourself hurt. You have to work your way into things. Start out small, and work your way up.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:18 AM
FitDay Member

Good info. Thanks.