Notices

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Old 01-22-2010, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

I know that some muscle soreness is unavoidable when you're trying to increase your fitness level. I'm even somewhat glad to experience it - since it means my muscles have been challenged and are currently trying to adapt.
It's part of training. My question is:

How do you deal with delayed onset muscle soreness? Do you take ibuprofen or other OTC pain reliever? Take a soak in a hot tub? Stretch more? Spend some time with Yoga practices? Meditation? Or just suck it up?

I'm curious.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:40 PM
FitDay Member

doms is your body telling you what muscles have been broken down and need to recover. this pain occurs for a reason, and masking it with pain killers would be a mistake. i add easy recovery days until the doms are gone.

with running and racing, doms hit me after hard races... usually it takes about a day per mile raced to recover. if i have a round of doms hit me during the training build up for a race, i know that i'm training too hard and i back off a bit. i would imagine with weights or other work you would also rest the muscles affected by doms, and work other muscle groups instead.

remember that the single most important thing about today's workout is being healthy for tomorrow's workout.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

Never take any drugs at all, EVER!

If you have muscle soreness, rest them. Or do light weights next time around. I am assuming you have different focus each day so these sore muscles should get at least 1 or 2 days rest even if you are in the gym every day. if back to that muscle and they are still sore, do more stretches and light weights, low reps until they are good again.

If sore for more than 1 day, look at your diet and intake protein and veges to feed them so they recover quicker. Even eletrolyte drinks like Endura.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Uhm...

I'm not afraid to take ibuprofen if and when I'm in pain - I know my body and know what is injury-related rather than simple muscle soreness. I also know what will work itself out if I stretch and take time to warm up. (Plus, this has all been discussed with my doctor.)

I know what DOMs is and what causes it. I 'rest' one full day between weight lifting sessions, but can't do that with cardio training. I'd never get fit if I didn't work through.

I was just asking a general question - what works for other folks when they experience DOMS - wasn't giving or asking for advice on this one.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

in general kimmy, i think you can get into pretty good shape without having to suffer with doms. the key really is patience. dealing with sore muscles day in and day out is not a way to lead your life... really even professional athletes don't live that way. when they train for a particular race, or when they are in the middle of their sports season, they put up with discomfort, but for most of the year, for most athletes, they work out at a level which avoids consistent doms.

when i turned 40 i started thinking long-term about my sport and training. where do i want to be in 1 year? in 3 years? in 10 years? pushing hard all the time would certainly burn me out in a year or two, and i want to keep running well after that (hopefully i've got 30 more years). so i really changed my focus to have enjoyable runs most of the time, with a couple of hard training pushes (2-3 months long) for particular races.

i think people who try too hard to start, and think that they can push through the pain of doms for instance, quickly lose interest in exercise. it really is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not a task! but unfortunately i think you'll see during the next few weeks how lots of new year's resolution exercisers disappear, and by march the health clubs will be empty again.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default I hear ya

Originally Posted by mcsolar
i think people who try too hard to start, and think that they can push through the pain of doms for instance, quickly lose interest in exercise. it really is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not a task! but unfortunately i think you'll see during the next few weeks how lots of new year's resolution exercisers disappear, and by march the health clubs will be empty again.
I used to hate January at the gym just for that reason. The long wait and crowded atmosphere was tough on the regulars. I found the very best days to go to the gym were 1) Superbowl Sunday, and 2) Any day during the NCAA Sweet 16 right through to the Finals. You nearly have the place to yourself!

I work out at home now. I never have to wait to use the treadmill here.

I have my reasons for pushing hard right now. I won't be sore much after this first month (unless I add new exercises.) It's fine. I'm one who needs the endorphin highs... or I won't stick with it. Taking it easy right now will only allow me to blow off my workouts.

Oh... and P.S. - I'm not a New Years Resolution exerciser.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

This is why most bodybuilders do a split. Arms one day, chest the next, legs another. I have been lifting weights for 6 months now and I try to find ways to get sore because your body eventually adapts. If you are getting sore from running, you need to take a day off. Take some protein to build that muscle back.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:40 AM
FitDay Member

...the running trails around tucson are starting to empty out now; it's a sad time of the year. (i usually go shopping on super sunday during game time)

if you've got a goal or reason to push, try alternating days. at the peak in my race training i do 4 hard days a week, with 3 easy recovery days. now i'm just doing 1 hard day a week. during the buildup i add an extra hard day every three weeks until i get up to four.

things that help me enormously:

(1) on easy days i go very very slowly. (just raced a 10k sunday at 6:20/mi pace... on my easy days i run 9:00/mi pace.) in 10-15 years i'll probably just walk on easy days.

(2) on hard days i start at that slow pace for the first two miles (20 min)

(3) after hard workouts i focus on simple recovery tricks for the first 15-20 minutes immediately following a workout. here's a good video:
Running Times Magazine: Video: The First 15 Minutes

(4) finally if something really starts to bother me (i have bouts with bursitis sometimes) i used contrast baths: 5min ice/ 5min hot, repeat for 20-30 min.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KimmyRocks
I know that some muscle soreness is unavoidable when you're trying to increase your fitness level. I'm even somewhat glad to experience it - since it means my muscles have been challenged and are currently trying to adapt.
It's part of training. My question is:

How do you deal with delayed onset muscle soreness? Do you take ibuprofen or other OTC pain reliever? Take a soak in a hot tub? Stretch more? Spend some time with Yoga practices? Meditation? Or just suck it up?

I'm curious.
Protein and amino acids. Will help stretching is a must! I personally dont take otc pain relievers. I read that they slow muscle growth, they may or may not. The more you exercise the more your body will get used to it
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Having just started back at the gym (was out for 5 years after surgery on my foot) I have found the soreness was present the first week of working out but has subsided much since then. I'm not one for taking medication so I would recommend just working through it. I believe great advice has already been given.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.