Notices

Help, Please?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
FitDay Member

Default Help, Please?

i fell down the stairs on Saturday and as it seems i have broken my tail bone. forgot to ask the doctor if there are any exercises that i could do now, without causing more damage. Could anyone please let me know if there are any exercises that i could do now? don't want to stop exercising, because i'm afraid the newly lost weight comes all back again.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Oh noes, farah!! I am so sorry to hear that! Is walking okay? If so, walk, walk, and walk some more! I'm not a medical doctor so this is not intended as medical advice, but I would think that if you sat and did some work on your upper body with the weights (ones that challenge you, not the 3-pound dumbbells), and also something that gets your heart rate up like a boxing motion, would be good.

At any rate, take care of yourself. Look at your log and see how many calories you can have even if you don't exercise; it's probably plenty, and stick to smart choices. Also, think about calling your doctor just to check about the exercises. S/he would know best.

Who knows, you might get a good bump from your body when you're all healed up and get back into it; it might tone those muscles up an extra bit since the routine will change. I know the times I have been off (ahem, vacation) and have gotten back to the plan, my body's respoded much more quickly than I thought it would, so don't get discouraged .
Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Casse, Thanks for the advice, at this rate, even walkig is a bit too painfull and uncomfortable and i can't sit properly either. i'm stuck. but i do try to get the exercises for light weight training. thinking of not doing any exercise for a while, really scares me!.
and for the food log, at this point i think as you mentioned, i'll try to log all my food, even the little bits and pieces that i tend to oversee after i reached my goal weight, i feel i'm back to square one again!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 AM
FitDay Member

Maybe you can try swimming or even the eliptical since its not as jarring on your joints as running or even fast walking can be
Old 10-19-2010, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

Do you have a body ball? I had to get one to do rehab on my shoulder, I think everything I do could be done with a broken tail bone. For most of the exercises I lay with my stomach on the ball and walk my hands around on the floor, as much good as it does my shoulder it's even better for core strengthening, and it's so hard I'm dripping sweat the whole time. And here's the best part, it only takes about 15 minutes.

Another suggestion might be for you to ask your doctor to prescribe some PT. Even just a few sessions would be helpful and would give you some safe and helpful exercises to do.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

wow! never thought of that exercise! i do have a body ball and i sure will give it a try. thanks Almeeker!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

You're welcome. As I'm sweating and grunting away tomorrow trying to make my body work that ball around I'm going to be sending you some "get up and feel the burn too" vibes. Until recently I never thought the ball workout was anything more than just goofing around, but it's insanely hard, yet still easy on my joints. I still think if you can get some PT that's worth looking into. I've been several times over the years for various injuries, and it always helps me recover faster and gives me some new crazy workout thing to try.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
FitDay Member

farahb: sounds like you have a plan and a willing spirit! I've worked out with weights for over 25 years and during that time I've had a few "time outs" due to injury. Get right in the gym and experiment, see what feels like it won't aggravate your injury. In no time, you'll be back and stronger than ever. I've never gained weight during my down times, even when I broke my ankle and was out of commission for a few months, I still went to the gym and did what I could. Look at this as a challenge and an opportunity to learn and to excell! Keep your protein intake up to help repair your injury. You go, girl!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

hello good friends, thanks for the advice and encouraging words. i did something, hope not so silly! i didtry the gazelle machine yesterday and it did not hurt me at all, so i'm hoping that's ok to use. what do you think?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by farahb7
hello good friends, thanks for the advice and encouraging words. i did something, hope not so silly! i didtry the gazelle machine yesterday and it did not hurt me at all, so i'm hoping that's ok to use. what do you think?
Your body will tell you alot Farah....so if your body says "ok we feel good doing this"....then it's ok. Just LISTEN to your body!