Notices

Lifting/Bootcamp Routine?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default Lifting/Bootcamp Routine?

Hi there,

Does anyone have a good schedule for me to follow say three days a week to lift or do other bootcamp style training moves. I took a bootcamp class 5 days a week at Lifetime Fitness like 7 years ago and it was awesome. I think they still have it so highly recommend it. But I need to get a set routine down for the gym, besides my running that I do 3-4 days a week outside. If anyone can recommend or send me something, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Ann
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 AM
FitDay Member

Check out this older posting here on the Fitday forums. http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...t-lifting.html

There are lots of suggestions including Stumptuous, Stronglifts, Dave Draper, and Bodybuilding.com.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

Concentrate your lifting on compound movements to save time and create the most productive, calorie-burning stress on your body. Then you can toss in some accessories to burn even more fat while working the "curvy" muscles, so you don't have to worry about "bulking up." (Not that that would ever happen, I just don't want you to worry about it).

Don't do these workouts three days in a row. Space it out through the week. And even if I've written some "cardio" type exercises, do them in addition to what you're already doing for cardio, i.e., your outdoor running 3-4 times/week.

Day 1: Circuit training (6 circuits, 5 reps per exercise (5 on each side for unilaterals), rest 30 sec between exercises); use enough weight to perform 5 reps without struggling
- Single-leg DB deadlift (compound)
- Push-ups with hands on dumb-bells (no added weight, do on knees if you need to) (compound)
- Lunges (compound)
- Overhead tricep extension (accessory)
- Side-step squats (compound)

Day 2: Energy systems / interval training
- Bike sprints: Pedal at moderate intensity for 45 sec, then turn up the resistance and sprint from a standing position for 10 sec. Do this for 10 minutes. Don't worry about the extra 5 sec that seems to be missing; this is time it will take to adjust settings between intervals.
- Wall sit: 3 times for as long as you can hold the position, with 1-2 min rest in between "sets."
- Rope jumping: For 10 minutes. Jump for as long as possible; if you need to rest, take a 10-20 sec break, then get back to jumping. It helps to use a stopwatch with an alarm so you don't have to worry about how much time is left.

Day 3: More circuit training (4 circuits, 8 reps/exercise, rest 30 sec between exercises)
- Bulgarian split squat (compound)
- Single-arm bent-over DB row (compound)
- Lunges (compound)
- Single-leg glute bridge (accessory)
- One-arm DB power snatch (compound)
- Reverse crunches (you don't have to go as high as she does in the vid)

This is a pretty basic template if you want to lift or do some higher-intensity bootcamp-style work three days a week. It will work alongside your running to supplement fat burning and muscle building without necessitating a lot of rest or really wearing you down too much. Next-day soreness will be moderate at first but can be mitigated with enough protein intake after the workout.

Hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

This is great Nik. Thanks! I already do a few of the things you suggest to this will be a nice formal training schedule to make everything streamlined.

Questions...For the overhead tricep extension, I usually do those one arm at a time. Is that ok or better to do both at once while holding a weight? And for pushups, can I just do regular push ups instead of on dumb-bells?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 AM
FitDay Member

Regular push-ups are fine. I usually do them on DBs or on my fists because my wrists start to hurt after doing them on my palms.

With the overheads, I find doing them with two hands lets you use a little bit more weight. You can even "lift" with one arm and "support" with the other, and the extra weight will let you build a little more muscle. I also find that it's easier on the elbow joint using two arms because it's really easy to screw up your elbow using just one arm, because you have less control over where the weight is going. But, I'll leave it up to you.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

That's true. I usually can't lift as much doing it with one arm and I am always extra careful to be in proper position to do so. So I think I will switch to two handed. Thanks again! I will be trying out the first group tonight at the gym and will let you know how it goes.

Ann
Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Ann,

I was just wondering how those workouts are going for you?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

They are going really well. Some things I am not doing but definitely lifting and doing squats, lunges, etc. Have been feeling great and thanks again for the routine schedule! I really appreciate it!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 AM
FitDay Member

Bumping this up some good advice. :-)