FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   cardio then weights or vice-versa?? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/207-cardio-then-weights-vice-versa.html)

rcpdaly 01-20-2010 07:06 AM

cardio then weights or vice-versa??

I just recently rejoined the gym scene. This past week I had 2 different orientation sessions with 2 different trainers for the equipment. Each has a different philosophy on when to do cardio training. Does anyone know if it's better to do cardio 1st, then weight training or vice-versa? Does one way burn more calories than the other? Thanks for your comments. Darlene:confused:

Fiobabyfizz 01-20-2010 08:45 AM

As far as I know both will burn calories. The difference being that cardio burns more calories whilst you do exericise, whereas weights are important cause forming even a small amount of muscle burns more calories in everyday useage than a body with less muscle?

That's all I know, hope it helps. I really don't think the order is important, although cardio might help warm up so you dont pull muscles in strength training.

craigstewart 01-20-2010 04:49 PM

You should always do weight training before cadio in order to burn any glycogen you have stored(muscle sugar).If you do cardio first,the first 20min. you're not burning fat you are burning glycogen.The only exception to this would be if you did cardio on an empty stomach first thing in morning before eating as your glycogen stores deplete overnight,hope this helps ,goodluck.

Williams45 01-21-2010 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by craigstewart (Post 1430)
You should always do weight training before cadio in order to burn any glycogen you have stored(muscle sugar).If you do cardio first,the first 20min. you're not burning fat you are burning glycogen.The only exception to this would be if you did cardio on an empty stomach first thing in morning before eating as your glycogen stores deplete overnight,hope this helps ,goodluck.

Exactly right. Weights followed by cardio or early morning cardio. You want your on tap energy to be expent getting in that extra set curls, presses, squats.

mhunter1222 01-21-2010 01:32 AM

When I used a trainer before he had me warm up on the recumbent bike for 7-10 mins, then do the weight/strength training, then do cardio and cool down. Good routine.

KimmyRocks 01-21-2010 07:58 AM

whichever way gets it done for you

It's time, intensity and frequency of your workouts that determines the total amount of calories burned, not so much the order of exercises or time of day you do them.

Try a few different ways (lots of people have their own suggestions) and see what feels best and gets you through it all without pooping out. :)

Good luck, Darlene!

MarshalMax 01-21-2010 03:09 PM

Also depends on what your goals are. For me I want to put on muscle and burn a little body fat so I NEVER cardio on empty stomach as that uses energy from muscle not fat. To burn my fat I need to do short intense bursts of cardio and intense progressive weight training. Intense weights will burn tonnes of calories and fat to reveal good growing muscle underneath.

If not focussing on building muscle but losing weight, I guess the reverse is applicable. Long periods of moderate cardio and long reps of light weights. but then I am just a punter, not expert. Just what I picked up along the way.

rcpdaly 01-21-2010 04:11 PM

in response

Thanks for all the good advice. Since I do my workouts first thing in the am, cardio may be the best bet to get me going, then the weights. I'll let you know what happens.
Dar:)

erickloses15pounds 01-22-2010 06:42 AM

I usually warm up before lifting weights. I do some 3 sets of jumping jacks, A LOT of stretching on Squat day. Stretching all your major body parts and jumping jacks works wonders! It gets you going. Then I hit the weights and at the end 20 minutes of non-stop running at 6 mph.

It is recommended to do cardio after lifting weights. I would push hard on the weights then finish it off with the cardio.

RProhofsky 01-24-2010 09:46 AM

It is easier to keep your heart rate up once you get it up. I would be easier to keep your heart rate higher (burn more calories) if you do Cardio first. At least do a Cardio warm up to get you heart rate up. The Asthma Center told me to do Cardio first. Start doing one first for a month or two then change. Variety is the spice of life! Listen to everyone, try everything, do what works the best, change things around every once in a while. THERE IS NO ONE RIGHT ANSWER FOR EVERYONE. Sorry, Rick