Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
cardio then weights or vice-versa?? >

cardio then weights or vice-versa??

Community
Notices

cardio then weights or vice-versa??

Old 01-24-2010, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

What I do first is weights then cardio,the only reason is if I do cardio first,which is a half hour walking on a tredmill at about 4mph sometimes I get too tired to lift.What ever you do first I think doesn't matter ,you're still burning calories.

Rich
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM
FitDay Member

Wow! I asked one of the instructors at my gym last night and he said to do cardio AFTER weights if hoping to gain muscle. Someone here mentioned the 1st few minutes of gym is burning through energy in your bloodstream before it gets to the stored stuff. So warm up, then hit weights hard to use up unstored and then stored energy, the cardio to finish off the use of stored energy. As long as the energy taken in by food for the day is less than used in the gym!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default check your information

Be careful when taking advice...

Trainers and instructors may not be qualified to give any better information than your average gym rat. Sorry, but it's true. Anyone can read an article, (in fact anyone can write an article) that doesn't mean the info is based on science, sound, reliable or accurate.

Qualified people will give their credentials and cite the sources they got their information. They will usually want you to follow up and become better informed yourself.

They would also ask for further information before answering your question about cardio or weights first - like: what is your goal? how long are your cardio sessions? what is your fitness level? how heavy are your weights? reps and sets.... etc.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 AM
FitDay Member

My trainer says to do the weight work first when you're still fresh and can concentrate on good form. If you do your cardio first, you can tire yourself out, lose the form and injure yourself.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
FitDay Member

I do 15 minutes cardio as a warmup and then lift. Afterwards I do cardio for another 20 minutes. Works for me.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 PM
FitDay Member

I almost always do my cardio first. I run 4-7 miles and then do my abs(on days that abs are in my workout) and then the rest weight lifting routine. My routine may not be the best for everyone but it works for me.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:05 PM
FitDay Member

Talking

Originally Posted by craigstewart
You should always do weight training before cadio in order to burn any glycogen you have stored(muscle sugar).If you do cardio first,the first 20min. you're not burning fat you are burning glycogen.The only exception to this would be if you did cardio on an empty stomach first thing in morning before eating as your glycogen stores deplete overnight,hope this helps ,goodluck.
yey i was also wondering about this and thats what iv been doing
Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by craigstewart
You should always do weight training before cadio in order to burn any glycogen you have stored(muscle sugar).If you do cardio first,the first 20min. you're not burning fat you are burning glycogen.The only exception to this would be if you did cardio on an empty stomach first thing in morning before eating as your glycogen stores deplete overnight,hope this helps ,goodluck.
i definitely agree, as this is what i read from "burn the fat, feed the muscle" for tom venuto. this is exactly how he explained it.