Notices

Spinning - OMG!

Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default Spinning - OMG!

Does anyone take Spinning classes? I have taken them on and off over the years and I think they are great but they are so hard!!!!Does anyone know how many calories are burned in a class. I read somewhere that you burn between 450-800 depending on how hard you push yourself. I might try weighing myself before and after, just out of curiosity, to see how much water (sweat) was lost.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there
I LOVE spinning.
I think it adds up to around 500 - 700 calories burned an hour. However it depends on your class and how you do it. Some classes base how hard you work on heart rate, I find them great. Basically you work at between 60% and around 85% of your max heart rate (100%= roughly 228 - your age). All you need to do is get a heart rate monitor. That way you know when you are working at fat burning level (below 85% max heart rate).
It's not worth busting a gut for an hour and not actually working in a fat burning zone. You'll just crave sugar after it.
You should also be drinking lots of water in the class.
Good luck
Barbara
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

get a HRM that counts calories burned.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with the poster above. The heart rate monitor is the way to go. I have an awsome instructor at my rec center. He does a lactic thresh hold test 2-3 times a year, then makes eveyone a laminated card with their percentages of that to track whether you're working in the correct zone. My monitor also has a calorie tracker. Unfortunately or fortunately, the calories burned goes down with weight lost! yeah me...