Notices

Days off from Exercise Routine

Old 09-23-2010, 02:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default Days off from Exercise Routine

Hello all you fit fanatics!

I have a question about working out that I hope someone can help me with. Do you take days off from your routine? If so, is it better to take two days in a row off, or break it up? On the days that you don't exercise do you decrease your calorie intake?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

I think this depends alot on your exercise routine and schedule. If you are walking seven days a week that is very sustainable but you wouldn't do a heavy weightlifting routine of squats and deadlifts more than once or twice a week for any sustained period. The more intense your workout the more time your muscles need to recover. Over training can lead to depression, lethargy and an increased incidence of sickness like colds and the flu.

Many people like to alternate weight training days with cardio days to give their muscles a chance to recover. For example,
* Monday: Legs.
* Tuesday: rest or light cardio.
* Wednesday: Arms/Shoulders.
* Thursday: Cardio.
* Friday: Back/Chest
* Saturday: Cardio.
* Sunday: Rest.

I personaly believe most people need a day off. If for no other reason that it keeps exercise from becoming a chore.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 AM
FitDay Member

I do a similar routine to what Ron laid out so I do take a day off each week (usually Sundays since that's the only day I get to see the boyfriend). I have to say, my Monday workouts are the best! I'm rested and feel amazing. I'd highly recommend that day off if you're working out really hard most other days.

As for calories, I have a tendancy to eat less on my rest day, but only because I might sleep in or something, so I just start eating a lot later in the day, which cuts out a meal or two. But for the most part, I stick to the same amount of calories. I figure my muscles are still hungry and need the nutrients to heal up.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:33 AM
FitDay Member

I take a day off here and there too, and I have days that are lighter than others. On Sunday's I usually walk 3 miles (and it's somewhat leisurely), M-Th I do intervals with cardio, or just cardio, I usually take Fridays off, and on Saturdays I walk 3 miles and lift for an hour. I don't really worry about eating more or less on my workout days, but I do tend to eat more on Saturday when I have the hardest workout, but I would eat more on Saturday anyway...

Last edited by almeeker; 09-23-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
FitDay Member

Days off from the gym are essential for recovery. Remember that you're not just using your muscles when you workout, you are also using your nervous system, and that burns out really fast if you go for too many days in a row. Once you burn out your nervous system you're more susceptible to stress and sickness too. My workout schedule gives me Monday, Wednesday, and Friday completely off, and my heaviest days are Sunday and Tuesday, so I get plenty of rest in the interim for my body to fully recover.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

i guess i have been workig out too hard! i do follow a tae bo schedule and on my day off i do threadmill, should i stop?
tae bo sessions are 46 minutes and are really killers, specially some are just strength training and very tiring!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 AM
FitDay Member

On my day off, I might go walking (semi leisurely) for an hour or two. Although, if I get no exercise, I don't sweat it. I understand the importance of getting that rest in. Granted, if I didn't have that day with the bf, I'd probably end up working out and eventually burning out. Farahb, if you think you're working out too hard, try taking a day off, then see how you feel the day after. I can't even explain how amazing I feel after my day off! Really helps energize me for another full week of tough workouts.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:25 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for your advice! I went ahead and took yesterday off, and I have to say that I am really full of energy and feeling stronger/healthier today!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM
FitDay Member

i am totaly exhausted today, but still will do my exercise. i plan to take tomorrow off and enjoy it too. going to be out all day tomorrow, don't think i'll have any energy for the work out once i'm back!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Exercise Days Off

I take off 2 days per week and I do not change my food intake. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.