Shoe Question >

Shoe Question

Community
Notices

Shoe Question

Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default Shoe Question

I really need a new pair of work out shoes, but I’m clueless about what type/brand I should buy!

At the moment, I’m minimally employed, so I can’t spend a ton of money at a specialty store. I’m looking to spend between $50 and $100. (If it’s a brand that I can buy at Kohls with a 30% off coupon, that’s even better!)

I’d like one pair of shoes that will suffice for all of my gym-going activities. The cardio I do most often is run/jog/walk on the treadmill. I typically run 1-3 miles 3-5 days per week. On non-running days, I also do the elliptical, stair stepper, and cardio group fitness classes. I also do some weight lifting (free weights and machines).

I like lightweight shoes that still have good support. I currently have Nikes. I’m willing to stick to that brand or try a new one.

So, should I buy running shoes? Or cross-training shoes? What brands and types do you guys like?

Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Default Buy one get one free shoe sale?

That would be the best . But I hear what you're saying. Shoes are expensive and important. You might want to try on several pairs and look online, as you can often find them cheaper than in the stores.

Also, ask a salesperson about last year's model or color. I just bought tennis shoes for my son and paid $45, down from $109, because the company had just come out with a new color scheme for the same shoe. Nikes, no less.

That aside, it's hard to make a choice. As you know, they are really very different shoes. Cross trainers generally give you a little more support, while running shoes are more flexible and focus on the forward motion of the foot. I think you can run fine in cross trainers, but they may wear a little quicker. Cross trainers are helpful if you have something with a lot of lateral motion; I don't know if your fitness class falls into this description.

I have two pairs of Rykas and I really like them. The first pair is a pair of cross trainers that I've had for quite some time. I did a bit of treadmill in them but once I got more into running, I got some Ryka running shoes with a gift card from the holidays. They are both very light and very comfortable. They also seem to hold up pretty well as compared to other shoes.

Just checked Kohl's website; they have Avias on sale right now and you really could get a pair of each for what you want to spend, if that brand is comfortable for you. My husband has Avias and he likes them.

Happy shopping .
Old 09-02-2010, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

Heya, I'm in love with my Asics Gel 1150's - they're classified as a running shoe and have a lot of support and help a lot with pronation (turning your feet inward as you walk/run). I bought mine for $75. I do the elliptical and the treadmill, so similar cardio exercises as you. Hope that's of some service; I used to have Nikes but ended up hating them after all of 2mos of use. :P I'll spare you that story, taha.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie - haha, yeah, that kind of sale would be perfect! =) I'll look online for Rykas and Avias. Thanks for the tips! I'm still undecided about cross trainers or runners...I'll have to think on that one a little more.

Change - I'll look into those, too. Thanks for the suggestion! Sorry about your Nikes, but glad you found a brand and pair you like. =)