Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Question About Free Weights >

Question About Free Weights

Community
Notices

Question About Free Weights

Old 08-19-2010, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

Alright Smoosh now get out there and DO IT! Your body won't sculpt itself! JUST BLAST!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
Jason,

How will she know if she might be quad or glute dominant in the squat? Does she even know what this means? Does she pronate or supinate her ankles which cause a rotation of her knees when she squats? Does she has an ASIS tilt that might need to be addressed before she can safely perform squats? Does she lack a certain area of flexibility that forces her to compensate in another joint?
Coey,

I didn't know any of this stuff when I first started squatting. I've been squatting for well over two years now with no problems. I've never had a personal trainer during that time. Each time I squat I run a mental checklist to ensure I'm in good form, and each time I learn a new tip on technique I add it to my checklist. The bottom line is good form is drilled with low weight IN THE LIFT YOU ARE TRYING TO IMPROVE ON. No one got good squatting doing only leg extensions/curls and back raises. The bottom line is you can only learn how to squat by squatting. Throwing all these terms at a complete beginner is sure way to scare them out of even trying.

The basic rules of squatting are to sit back, not squat down, start the movement at the hip, not the knees, keep your heels on the ground, and look at the horizon. Go down to where your thighs are parallel to the ground and then stand up again. If it hurts in any of your joints, reset your stance (wider, thinner, check where your toes are pointed, etc.). Toes should be pointed in the direction your knees naturally go out. Try this out at just bodyweight to get the form down, then as you're comfortable, put dumbbells in a backpack and use that until you get to barbell weight (45#).
Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Smoosh,

When you're starting out for the first time you don't even have to use extra weight outside. One of the best places to start is pure bodyweight exercises. Jason has a great list of equipment-less exercises above. You just can't go wrong with plain old squats and push-ups (even if you do the latter on your knees!).

In fact, if I've been away from the gym for an extended period of time I'll usually ease back in with bodyweight movements. Not to mention that squatting deep is a great stretch for the quads without overextending... but push-ups, squats, leg-raises, band good-mornings, and some naturally heavier movements like dips and pull-ups are staples for me. Best thing is, the more you lose, the easier they get =]
Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 PM
FitDay Member

Right on Nik,

I also wanted to point out that squats are always a quad dominant exercise. The only ways to modify this is to use a smith machine and have your feet farther in front of you, then it becomes a glut/hamstring dominant exercise. But typical barbell/bodyweight squats and regular dead-lifts are quad dominant. To get a good hamstring pump do Romanian dead-lifts, these are FAR GREATER than leg curls!